Launching programs causes Windows Installer to launch as well

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by SysProg, Apr 26, 2006.

1. SysProg

SysProg OSNN Addict

I just finished upgrading to the latest release of SlowGold. I uninstalled the old version using Add Remove Programs, then deleted the SlowGold2002 folder from My Programs, and installed the new version.

Now when I launch SlowGold, Windows Installer launches for Roxio, and other programs, and attempts to uninstall them.

How do I stop this from happening? I read about using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from Microsoft but am not sure which program to have it clean up.

I also run Microsoft AntiSpyware (daily scan), Ad-Aware (weekly), Spy-bot (resident with a weekly scan), McAfee Personal Firewall, and McAfee VirusScan. All come back clean (except for cookies, which I allow them to delete).

Harley

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

You should re-read this article from MS if you haven't already:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;290301

The utility does not harm any programs, it just removes the Windows Installer information from programs that used it. I would use that to "clean" the programs that are acting up.

3. SysProg

SysProg OSNN Addict

Thanks for the info, but upon further reading (of the readme.txt that is in the article) I will have to reinstall all of the affected programs that I clean up with the utility. It says that the Cleanup Utility will remove registry entries which include the info in the Add/Remove Programs dialog.

I am hoping to resolve this without having to uninstall everything, but will do so if it can't be avoided.

This problem began yesterday - Roxio has been on my system for over 2 years now and hasn't caused any problems.