Latop auto networking configure question

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I just got a new Dell Latitude D600 Laptop. I do use it between two Wireless "G" networks (Home and Work). The network at home is not DNS enabled, so I have to input the TCP/IP parameters everytime I get home from work, which has DNS enabled network. My question is: Can I create two profiles within Windows XP so that when it detects and connects to the networks, it automatically config's the TCP/IP protocol?

This laptop uses a proggy called Intel PROset/Wireless as well for wireless networks. Don't know if this proggy might work for me.

Thanks in advance.

Heeter

When I was going to school, I was constantly switching between my schools and my homes wireless network. I could never figure out how to use the bundled wireless software to set up profiles, but I did find this great piece of software. Multinetwork Manager. They offer a free trial so you should definitely check it out. It takes some a little tinkering around with to get going but once you figure it out, its great

Do you not have DHCP at home? Routers come with this feature. This will allow a auto config setup. I do it all the time between home, school and friend's houses.

I use Intel PROset, its for setting up multiple wireless profiles but doesnt not include TCP/IP settings, DHCP is made for this.

Hi Admiral,

I was forced to change my home DHCP to auto assign because of this laptop. Was not really thrilled about it. I like assigning my own TCP/IP. Had to dumb it down enough for the PROset to work in both environments. These machines should adapt to my way of life, not the other way around.

Heeter

You can still assign your own IPs, just not on the laptop. I used to assign my own IPs on all my machines, but I use my server as DHCP now and just setup reservations.

For a laptop, I think using DHCP is a great, especially if you travel with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back