Last Chance To Get Mailwasher

Yes I set mine to check every 5 minutes and the junk never gets to my inbox I like the idea of having that run on the task bar it takes alot less resources then OE and I can see when I have something worth downloading ... great little program

also, this is not as intrusive when you have it set to accesss the internet in the backround, as it does not make a complete download.

much better then having the client run in the bvackround, which will down;oad every gif, every exe, every part f all mail sent to yuo

I want to try lewelzz app though...see if that's any better, or as good...which one is smaller, less resources, that stuff.

but I am in love with mailwasher

I just got a look at the jet program

it's over 16 mbs big

mailwasher is everything I need, and it's under 2 mbs...

I guess I'll ask gleenieboy what extra is in the jet, and if it's worth the bigger program for extra features

And mailwasher uses 1,200k -1,900k of memory running next to clock ... gotta love small apps like that ;)

Originally posted by dealer
I just got a look at the jet program

it's over 16 mbs big

mailwasher is everything I need, and it's under 2 mbs...

I guess I'll ask gleenieboy what extra is in the jet, and if it's worth the bigger program for extra features

16 MB??? The one I have is 2.2 MB big. I think you are confused with jetAudio.
The program does use some memory, 5.5 MB running in background. But since I haven't noticed any system slowdown, I don't care.
jetMailMonitor does the job for me, and I don't need the extra features Mailwasher (might) offer, but I don't know the program, so I can't point you to the differences.

thanx gleanie...I was looking at the wrong dl

how do you like jet?

does it have bounce back, black list, multiple accounts?

I'm thinking jet might have the more features, and thus the extra memory it uses

Originally posted by Jewelzz
It has all those features dealer

It doesn't have bounce back. But you can delete e-mails and filter on mail-adress, and words that come in the e-mail title

THANX GUYZ

I love jet products, but in this case, with the mailwasher using less memory, and having bouce back to boot, I guess I won't try the jet

I love their player though:)

Aye, nice program. Kinda defeats my thoughts on trying to limit internet traffic though. Spam is the biggest hog along with P2P programs!

Something similar to jetMailMonitor, that also supports Hotmail and Yahoo ... e-Prompter (www.eprompter.com)

Might want to check it out. I just downloaded it, and I'm giving it a try.

I use e-prompter - it's great! Yes, it does pick up yahoo mail without paying for it.

I have mailwasher and have been bouncing mail that can be bounced and still get the same mail.

Guys,
Here is an excerpt from a discussion in another NG about MailWasher. I don't know diddley about mail daemons or "550" replies but it does raise some interesting issues if in fact it's violating the ISP AUP.
bill g
#########Excerpt:
I'm going to jump a bit off the topic of your post to throw a slam
against MailWasher - notably the "bounce" feature.

What the "bounce" feature does is absolutely pointless, and in
actuality is causing you to both violate your ISPs' Acceptable Use
Policy, and to mailbomb some innocent user - as well as mailbomb the admin of your ISP who sees all the failed bounces come back to the mailer-daemon.

The bounce feature sends back a *forged* 550 message from
mailer-daemon@yourisp.com - which is completely MEANINGLESS after the mail has already been successfully delivered.

The 550 rejects from a REAL mailer-daemon happen at the time of the MTA transaction between the mail servers. Sending back a 550 Reject 8 hours later when you pop your mail does nothing except verify that you are using the stupid mailwasher "bounce" feature. - The REAL MTA transaction was completed 8 hours earlier, and your address was already VERIFIED as being deliverable to the spammer.

On top of that, the *forged* bounce goes to the person listed in the "from" address header - which 99.9% of the time is forged to be some innocent user at yahoo/hotmail, etc. - or even YOUR OWN ADDRESS.

I started seeing these bounces come back to a mailer-daemon on a server I manage, and after I found out that mailwasher was causing it, I first issued a warning to the user for forging a system account, and then sent an explanitory email to the author of Mailwasher, explaining that he was causing people to violate their ISP AUP. He responded saying that "the bounce feature is extremely effective" -well, what that REALLY translates into is: "It is extremely effective at raising my sales because people love nice-sounding features, regardless of how well they work, or what mayhem they unleash"

Because of the irresponsible attitude of the author, I view mailwasher as a "hostile" program. If you care about reducing mail abuse, (and not getting your account shut down) DUMP mailwasher - By using Mailwasher you are CONTRIBUTING to e-mail abuse.

-gib

i pedal..I understand their frustration with the bounce back feature.

they are wrong, in that it is definately an effective feature, and these people surely would not complain about the feature unless it was in fact effective...no harm no foul so to speak

also, my mail is often not delivered for hours, so they are wrong again that the time signature deems the bounce back inacurate

...and as far as I understand, mail is not delivered until it's retrieved.

mailwasher prevents the mail from being retrieved, so it is undeliverable...so they are wrong again.

in addition, once this is put on the black list, it becomes undeliverable for the future.

if this is illeagal, it doesn't seem so to me, as I know of no protection against reproducing deamon notices, plus, this program might actually generate authentic daemon notices...I'm not clear on this.

in any event, the black list without the bounceback is fine....so if the bounce back does turn out to be illeagal it really doesn't matter.

thanx for your imput, and the snippet of that conversation

perhaps this is the reason the program is going profesional

interesting turn of information to be sure

Dealer,
I don't know enough about how any of this stuff works to determine if what the guy says about MailWasher is correct or not.
I've been using a paid for version at work on a LAN for about a year. In that time it seems that the more addresses I add to the "Add to bounce list", the more I get, maybe 50/day now, and that's behind several firewalls.
A month or so ago the University DC/NS (Data Communications/Network Services) folks got with our local LAN (10 servers) guy saying there was a problem with the activity of the machine with my NIC ID. Said I had some virus that was propagating stuff on the network. So I tell our MIS guy "Gee, I have my AV stuff updated and running, What could it be?"
They run Win, Dos, SafeMode scanners on my machine don't find anything.
They go back to their dungeons to rescan the network. I disable MailWasher in the interim. My LAN guy later comes to my office and says it looks like it's been cleared up.
So it makes me wonder.
bill g

to be fair, I also don't know enough about anything that that thread talks about, and my comments were spculation

I have been using mailwasher, and I have to tell you, there are absolutely no mails that come back to me after I've bounced them.

I guess this migh t be the blacklist doing it's work..i don't know.\

they are good points, though, so I'll see what goes.

thanx again for the interesting information

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back