Laptops...

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by Corolla568, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Corolla568

Corolla568 Guest

I have an old Compaq Presario 1688 running Win98se. What upgrades can i do do this laptop besides memory? I was planning on buying another copy of XP Pro for it, but looking at how fast it is (400mhz)..i dunno. What can i do to this computer?

Current Specs:

AMD K6 3D Processor...okay...it wasn't MY laptop. my sisters for college and she "liked the look"

64MB of SDRAM, which is gonna become 128MB + 64MB.

Some....CD-Rom.....=c)

okay..so i'm not good on specs..but realistically, what upgrades CAN i do to a laptop like this?

2. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Well Laptops r tough to upgrade. That said adding more ram will help if at all possible a faster cpu and a bigger hard-drive but also there isn't a lot that can be upgraded on a laptop

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Can't think of anything other than the RAM, which you definitely need to increase.
    What about the HDD?

4. Corolla568

Corolla568 Guest

HDD is a measley 4.53Gigs....is it easy to replace a HDD on a laptop? normally?

*Edit* and is it possible to change the processor? i don't think so, right?

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yes, its possible. You'll probably need to contact Compaq for an upgrade.
    But I don't think it's possible to get a new processor for it.

6. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

a footrest is nice. upgrading laptops is alot more expensive, and especially since you need to go through compaq. tip: buy an extra keyboard/mouse for it, mount it on a desk and use it for word, ppt, html, messaging, etc...