• Don't do it!

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Can't see any problem!

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

Psyborg

google addict
Political Access
Guys, I've just got in broadband, I'm using a laptop (Toshiba Satellite A30-203), I want to leave my connection on 24/7, therefore I want to leave my laptop on 24/7, like you can do with a desktop system. I took out the battery and I'm running it on a/c, and my question is this- is there any danger that I could overheat to dangerous levels, or even completely fry the laptop, given that I would think it is more delicate than a desktop system? :nervous:

I leave my laptop on all the time, so far its been fine. Make sure to keep it clean though; Dirty heaysinks can cause overheating :D

Thanks guys, Zeke, thats just the answer I wanted to hear, cuz it has two nicely sized ventilation holes undeneath blowing air around the system, I was just worried about the processor overheating and stuff...

I would leave it on a flat surface on something like wood or something like that. Make sure sure it doesnt sit on something that insulates, and you should be fine

I leave my iBook on 24/7, it goes to sleep when I close it to take it somewhere, other than that it's pretty much always on. Shouldn't see a problem with it :)

Mine goes into standby/hibernate for 5-6 hours every night while I'm sleeping. Other than that, it's always on.

But yeah, been that way for more than two years now. So leaving it on all the time shouldn't be a problem either. Just take the advise posted above and leave it on a flat surface with room for ventilation. :)

Psyborg said:
Thanks guys, Zeke, thats just the answer I wanted to hear, cuz it has two nicely sized ventilation holes undeneath blowing air around the system, I was just worried about the processor overheating and stuff...
processor clocks down when it's not under pressure unless you set power management to "desktop" or "always on" mode

I don't think 24/7 is a big deal, but really, it is a laptop after all...can't expect longevity from them regardless

I ran into heat issues when I tried to run F@H on my laptop for long hours. Then again, there's a 2.4GHz P4 Northwood in there. The Pentium-M's shouldn't have a problem.

A laptop that has heat problems has been designed badly. There should be adeqaute cooling in a laptop to make sure to stays cool.

BiteSize:~ xistence$ uname -a; uptime
Darwin BiteSize.Network.Home 7.9.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.9.0: Wed Mar 30 20:11:17 PST 2005; root:xnu/xnu-517.12.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc
15:51 up 6 days, 21 mins, 2 users, load averages: 1.23 0.95 0.49

Before i rebooted it, it was at 45 days.

Toshiba P4 laptops get REALLY hot... especially their power adapters so you better watch out for overheating... i'd suggest that you try and keep a good ventilation of cool air around the machine and adapter if you're keeping it running 24/7.

Whoever decided it was a good idea to put desktop CPU's into a notebook needs a slap. I won't deny that P4 notebooks aren't really nice to use (but so are P4-M's and even Centrino's :D) but I really wish that manufacturers would concentrate on putting in cooler chips that require less power, instead of trying to make a quick saving.

I googled water cooled laptop, as I knew I'd heard of it before:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4086

Back then (y2k) I could understand why the technology would be expensive, but now? Instead of it their slowing down processors! Just for info, mine is a P4 2.6... and yes ming, I could fry an egg on the adapter after two hours! But, I don't know if it makes a difference to battery life, but should I leave the battery in or out? I've had the laptop running now without the battery in since I first posted, running fine so far, big living room, plenty of ventilation...

If you're running solely off AC power, then leave the battery out. Leaving it in and constantly charging will do it no good.

Heh, the libretto rarely gets used, only gets turned on to play about really, the battery has a life span of about 20 minutes, not to mention it has no connectivity other than a 56k modem. I use my iBook for portable computing now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back