Laptop to laptop on xp

dabomb

OSNN Senior Addict
hi,

me and my brother would like to network our two laptops up to share files we have bought an rj45 lead which connects to both computers but how do i actually get to connect the both lptops together so we can files share?

Michael

If you both have 9 and/or 25 pin serial ports, you can share via a null modem cable, which I think is what the previous poster was suggesting. They aren't very fast, but I'm not quite sure how to share files using an RJ45...there should be a way though.

Originally posted by ogremagedwarf
If you both have 9 and/or 25 pin serial ports, you can share via a null modem cable, which I think is what the previous poster was suggesting. They aren't very fast, but I'm not quite sure how to share files using an RJ45...there should be a way though.
Not very fast? You're kidding. :D
115kbps on serial compared to 100Mbps on Ethernet...

Crossover, like NetRyder said, is the way to go.

so basically i got the wrong cable? and i need a crossover cable?

pop into your local "small" PC shop and ask them to chop 1 end off and make it into a crossover for you, costs about £1 retail for a RJ45 connector & 2 mins of there time

Originally posted by dabomb
so basically i got the wrong cable? and i need a crossover cable?
If the connection lights don't light up, you have the wrong cable, yes.

both connection lights do show up, is there any easy software that we could download and install on both computers and use the software to connect the 2 computers together? plz help us we need help

I haven't used a crossover in such a long time; I can't recall if you need to manually set the IPs on both machines.

But if the lights are lit up, you should be able to see the other computer in My Network Places when you "view workgroup computers." (If you haven't set both laptops as having the same workgroup, right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Computer Name tab, click the Change button, and enter the same value for Workgroup on both machines.)

To verify, open a command prompt, type ipconfig to get the machine's IP address, and on the other machine type ping 192.168.1.1 (where 192.168.1.1 is the IP of the first laptop) ; you should get an instant response with 0% loss.

Good luck...

On XP Pro (not sure about the Home ver) You can run the Windows Network wizard on one PC which will create a floppy you put in the other PC.

The wizard will create a Workgroup and allow you to share an Internet connection.

Not even sure you need the floppy. Just run the network setup wizard.

start-help-search type in network wizard and hit go

click the network setup wizard link in the text

Then just follow the instructions. If you just want to share files then select "other" when it asks about internet connection sharing.

Make sure you both give it the same workgroup name. It default to MSHOME for a name. Just use that if you don't have to connect to any other networks.

Once the link is established you will need to share out the folders you want to access. That's a right click on the drive name under my computer and select "sharing".

That's about it except that you may have to open up the firewalls on both machines if you have one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back