Laptop is slow!

I'm not the best person to answer, but I would suggest running something like Sisoft Sandra - which can do varying levels of "burn-ins" on your hardware. To this point though, you may be approaching the "lemon" level on your laptop, which is probably why they are giving you such a run around on fixing/replacing anything else in it.

You said that problem happened in FF, does it occur with IE, or another browser like Opera?

Get SiSoft Sandra

What kc said, Sandra is my constant companion. Lets you stress one item at a time.

I know exactly what you mean on the current problem. The lag out happens to me in just about all applications from word processor to games. It just doesn't happen often enough to really annoy me. The delay is usually accompanied by heavy disk activity.

Make sure your HD is not powering down for battery saving and then having to spool up to cache something from ram. Just to see if it helps - try limiting your background programs to free up ram, turn off disk cacheing of ram, change the time delay on HD power down if you can.

A recent discovery - the windows helpsrv.exe has started spazing out and consuming 100% of CPU capacity on some peoples systems sometime last summer. Windows has a hotfix but it's on their call and pay service. An alternate is to change helpsrv from auto default to manual or kill it for a test(you probably want it on).

The more usual suspects - background app's/malware stealing compute cycles

The newer breed of suspects - you have an X2... The kids could be arguing over who is in charge.

If firefox is the only app with the lag issue - has firefox started incorporating any multithreading? They tend to be first adopters. Try an older version.

The old "it's your drivers story" does piss one off but. It's what ATI told me and after one RMA and 4 months of multiple new sound, video and MB drivers my vid card performance is now tolerable (still wish I bought an Nvidia but, sigh). With something new like X2, people adding multithread support and MS constantly making changes driver stability is an issue.

As for those about to jump in with "I have an X2 and it is completely stable". Good for you, I'm glad. But don't discount other people having issues. Software operation is path dependent. Hardware lot variation, software Load and execution order can cause instability in a varying percentage of products. I spend 50 hours a week finding those kinds of problems and they always do exist. Pin pointing the source is what gives me my rosey disposition. ;)

You guys wouldn't have a network printer would you? I had a typing lag and it turns out it had to do with my printer (direct network connection). I simply reinstalled the printer and it went away.

kcnychief said:
I'm not the best person to answer, but I would suggest running something like Sisoft Sandra - which can do varying levels of "burn-ins" on your hardware. To this point though, you may be approaching the "lemon" level on your laptop, which is probably why they are giving you such a run around on fixing/replacing anything else in it.

You said that problem happened in FF, does it occur with IE, or another browser like Opera?

Get SiSoft Sandra
no its in ie as well, and also i was watching grease on dvd (nice movie btw) and it momentarly freezes sometimes, i dont have an x2, and theres no spyware as its a clean recovery cd installation. no printer at all, and i had gotten sis sandra before you guys told me to, but is a burn in test what im looking for? is it diagnostic or just to get ur rig ready for working hard?

There isn't really a way to get your rig "ready to work hard". Sisoft is basically a software package that will stress test your hardware, to ensure it can run when under full load for any random amount of time. This will typically return errors if there is a hardware-level issue with the device(s).

*starts burn in tests*

ill post a log or somehing if i can and am having trouble to find out what, btw i called them today, and lost it on the phone i started cussing the **** out of them cuz im leaving for vacation soon, and wont have time to send it in again, and i told them ok what about the international warranty? they said where u goin, so i told them saudi, knowing they would say the nearest place is dubai, when he said that i was like ok they pay for shipping, hes like no they wont, and i started cussing again saying how its their fault not mine, a manager is ganna call me tommorrow

This is pretty rediculous, I feel for ya man. I'd be interested to see what the "manager" is going to say about everything :eek:

well i just want to scream at him too, they will tell me the exact samet thing, they just want to screw the consumer, they say they cant give new ones since its a repair place, but i know thats bs cuz they can just get one from a warehouse etc, if he pisses me off, i think ill just get a lawyer.

I wouldn't scream at him - kill him with kindness. Just try to explain your frustration and find out what he's going to do to make the situation better. If you aren't satisfied, ask who his supervisor is, etc.

Write everything that's pertinent down, name of person you talked to, date and time, etc. Keep records this way you have proof of how crappy their support is if you need to.

well he was nicer, but he basically said the same things, he said though here they pay for the shipping on international units, so dubai might as well. so im ganna try to send it to dubai and have them pay for the shipping, i got his direct number as well so i dont have to go through the acer bull****

Works out well I suppose, but what is going to be different this time? What can they do to fix it, which they haven't done before? It just seems like you are going around and around in circles, and nothing is getting resolved. What are they promising will get done?

well hopefully they have better technicians in dubai lol than in missisaga

and if not and they can replace it, i might be able to get a new one or the travelmate? cuz in the middle east they usualy are nice and leaniant so hopefully i can convince them (on second thought, i bought it in canada so they probably wont, but its worth a shot :D)

You know what else is worth a shot? Using the edit button :p

Just Kidding :) :p

Do you have anything in your warranty that states if they can't fix it after "x" amount of tries, they replace it entirely?

yeah but it will be a refurbished one, and i dont want that when i payed 3000 dollars for this kia

Kush said:
yeah but it will be a refurbished one, and i dont want that when i payed 3000 dollars for this kia
That doesn't really make any sense to me. Why would they give you a refurbished unit, which is not equal to the price you paid?

If they don't have any new, or don't make your model anymore, tell them you want current market value equivalent to what you paid.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back