Laptop has trouble connecting to internet via eithernet except in home office

walterlb

OSNN One Post Wonder
I have a Compaq 900US laptop that has faithfully served me for several years. I am running windows XP with SP2 and install updates automatically. When I am in my home office I connect to the internet through my desktop which is connected via dialup. The laptop has no problem connecting to the internet in my office but when I go on the road, I have to either use dialup or wireless to connect. I get warnings that the network connection may not work properly (when I am travelling) and or the computer is not able to obtain an IP address. What should I do?

The wireless connection that you are trying to conect to is at home and may only have a range of 100metres or you maybe using a cable.You will have to use dial up or connect to another AVAILABLE wireless network that you are allowed to access.

Yah,
its probably out of range, by on the road do you mean hotel?
Because if so, i have found a ton of "fake" networks that have great reception and are not encrypted.... but you cant connect to them... Best bet is use a hotel ethernet cable...
Oh by the way, why do you still have dial up? You need to get dsl man, its cheaper... I have comcast but if price is an issue dsl is the way to go...

Vanquished, this is for WIRED not wireless. walterlb states he can use dialup or wireless fine.

Please read the original post more thoroughly.

Ah, I see now, are you sure though?
Because this seems like a weird/fake problem if its wired... By the way, i only saw the wired part from reading the title, no where in the post does it really say wired...
I still think you must be connecting to fake connections or something.... did you get the drivers for your ethernet adapter?

When you on the road, you dial up at home could be set up to dial a 9 for an outside line. Or the other way around, some hotels make you dial a code to gain access to an outside line. you can change these in your phone and modem options, under the dialing rules.

"I get warnings that the network connection may not work properly (when I am travelling) and or the computer is not able to obtain an IP address. What should I do?"

for your wireless prob you might just be out of range or your laptop is trying to acess a wep encrypted network. Some hotels i think you have to get the frontdesk to set you up, or you have to pay for it. Such as case with Mcdonalds wireless networks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back