Laptop freezes and unfreezes when tilted...

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
Hey guys...

I'm having a very weird issue with my laptop as of two days ago. I notice that sometimes, it just freezes and there is no activity. The CPU (I can hear it processing if it's quiet enough and I put it on High Performance profile), mouse, everything stops working and the screen just stays as it is. When I tilt the laptop at a certain angle (or sometimes place my wrist on the right side of the touchpad), everything comes back to life. I'm pretty sure this isn't a software issue... yesterday I reseated the CPU, RAM, hard drive and WiFi card, but I guess it didn't seem to do the trick. At first I thought maybe there's a faulty power connection, but that doesn't make sense because the computer still has the screen powered on when it 'freezes'

Any other ideas on why this might be happening?

Regards,
Apu

I thought that too, but when I reseated the CPU I cleaned the heatsink and fan and applied new thermal paste as well. I doubt leaning my wrist on the right side of the touchpad remove heat (seeing as how doing that makes it unfreeze) :(

A dry joint? What's a dry joint? xD I've never heard of that kind of piece on a laptop...

Maybe he meant a cold solder joint.
Sometimes they are easy to spot but other times they are not.

i have always heard them referred too as a dry joint

Cold solder joint? Hmm... I'll look into that. Is there a way to spot these or do I need special tools?

depends if you have to tap a certain parts of the laptop to get it to work you could look at those areas, and it norm means re-soldiering every joint, you might be better off taking it to a repair shop, unless you are an electronics whiz and can do it yourself :)

I feared that would be the case... I definitely don't have the expertise to do that. I'm gonna have to look around Montreal for a place that could do such a thing >_<

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back