Laptop Firewall

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jdn, Mar 7, 2004.

1. jdn

jdn I'm trying

I am having problems successfully installing a firewall on my laptop. I only need it when travelling as I am behind a Linux box at work and linksys at home though it cant hurt.
    I have tried Kerio and Outpost(1st choices) as well as Zone alarm. BSOD result on boot up.
    Tosh Satellite 5200
    intel 2.4
    512 ram
    XP Pro
    KAV anitvirus
    Should the boot order be changed?
    Or????

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I'm surprised that both Kerio and Outpost brought up STOP errors at bootup. There might be something else that's causing conflicts, but I'm not sure where to start without more information.

Have you tried Sygate? That's another trusted software firewall that a lot of people use.

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Make sure antivirus is up to date. Then run a full scan of the machine. A long shot but some virii/worms will tamper with antivirus and firewall installs to protect themselves.

Also check KAV (Kerio Antivirus?) Outpost, ZA FAQs to see if there is a known conflict on install. The KAV might be preventing the firewall install. You may need to disable AV to install a firewall.

I've never seen a firewall not install on a clean machine.

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

KAV == Kaspersky Antivirus...just FYI :)

5. jdn

jdn I'm trying

Clarification
    The programs install fine but BSODs occur after install during normal bootup