Laptop can't "see" desktop

StoneyP94

OSNN Newbie
Hi!

I have a dlink router (DI-524, CI) and dlink wireless card in my laptop (DWL-G630). I am trying to connect my laptop and desktop. I can see the laptop documents on the desktop, but not the other way around. My laptop says it "cannot browse the network" (When I run the wizard it says that there is possibly a repeated name on the network.) I have only these two computers. One is called "Daryl" and the other is "home". Can anyone help me out? Oh, and the desktop runs Windows XP (service pack 2) and the laptop runs Win ME. The laptop and desktop both have internet access through the router.

Thanks,

stoney

Do you have both set up to share files?

Make sure the firewalls have been opened up to make the LAN computers "Trusted".

You have to actively share out any directory or disks you want the other computer to access, otherwise you can only get to the "Shared Documents" folder. Same with printers and optical drives. Right click the folder/drive and select Sharing & Security.

The "possibly" repeated name scares me. It is either repeated or not...

Are you setup with the router to assign DHCP addresses?

And with ME I think you have to make a network install disk to run with an XP machine. I'm not positive, I never owned a copy of ME.

Also make sure the guest account is enabled otherwise you need to setup a user on the XP machine with the SAME username and password as the ME machine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back