Kirio Beta is Great!!

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
alright, I've been a huge fan of sygate since I started using it...small, as effective as any, and it does not slow my connection down even a bit.

so, I ws reluctant to try the
kiro beta
, but I've gotten a rave review so I thought I'd give this thing a go

very impressive

this program caters to the paranoid, but in a good way.

every single new app that's launched has to get permission from kirio.

it starts with excellant rules, ande takes you forward from there.

here's a typical exampl;

suppose you launch mailwasher for the first time;

you'll be prompted to give permission for MailWasher to be launched!!!then prompted for mailwasher to access internet, (of course), but then prompted again for MailWasher to launch The email client!!!, then again prompted to for the mail program to access!. incredibly aware of everything that's going on in your box.

this is real time protection of viruses and trojans, and so far, this program is soo good it's silly.

GIVE THIS BETA A SHOT

Kerio's always been my firewall of choice, works a charm ;)

Indeed it is great! Im still on version2 but have been testing beta 6 on other systems, its very impressive :)

Does Kerio use less resources than ZA Pro? I use the latest version of ZA and am happy with it's security, but it seems a might hungry to me.

Originally posted by Drew
Does Kerio use less resources than ZA Pro? I use the latest version of ZA and am happy with it's security, but it seems a might hungry to me.

From thetests I've ran, Kerio beta uses a bit more resources than ZAPro.

It looks liek the entire working set of kirio is 2mbs

I'm almost certain za, pro and free uses much more then that, but I refuse to install za on my box to test it...coucl someone else tell us that?

My satellite Internet Connection doesn't get along well with many firewalls .... the only one I have found that works well is Black ICE 3.6 ... but I may give Kerio's new beta a try. :)

According to TM, with ZA Pro running I have the following mem useage:

zapro.exe - 2712k
vsmon.exe - 7030k

welcome to our board drew:cool:

do me a favor if you're still on line, or anyone that has za, pro or free;

look at your pf usage under performance in task manager.

then close out pf za, and tell me the delta...make sure the service closes out also...(delta=differance in pf useage)

this will tell us the working set of za..what the working set is and what is currently being used are two differant figures, as there are features that are not resident in ram yet.

this btw is exactly what a large pagefile is for...to have address area for features in the working set that are not being used at the moment

I have to go, so I won't see your answer till later.

thanx drew

well. releasing the working set in kirio is actually closer to 3mbs of ram

I just did the same with sygate

you are not going to believe this...13MBS!!!

I believe I'm about to toss sygate off my box

gonna do some security tests with kirio, some speed tests on the internet also.

if everything is up to snuff, kirio is clearly the better application

Dealer

PF with ZA running - 271 mb

PF without - 258mb

Which by my abacus makes ZA Pro about the same as Sygate?

dealer - I am running ZA Freebie

za.Exe = 2,572K
vsman.exe = 7,896K

PF Usage with ZA running = 193MB
PF Usage with ZA shutdown = 177MB

I think that is what you were looking for.

thanx drew and dy

16mbs..huge ...and that's the free...the pro is a supposed to be much bigger program...interesting it's smaller on a differant boxnow, compared to the new kirio at just under 3, this looks too good to be true.

I just did some speed tests on a very slow, (12 k) connection, and kirio has not slowed my connection one bit

believe it or not, some tests ran faster with the firewall then without, and none ran slower with the firewall then without...interesting.

next I'll do some security tests, and post again

that's it...totally secure, totally invisable

I'm going too uninstall my sygate.

this program is just too good to be true.

I'm not sure if this beta is going to be the free version, so in case it's not, I'm recomending everybody download the copy even if you are happy with your firewall, and keep the installer on cd for possible future use.

I love this fujucking program,

I'm not sure what the deal with my system is then, because Kerio was over 12MB. I'll install it again to find out...

aye captain, I stand corrected, sort of I guess. I was including the totals of the admin.exe for advanced configuration. I'll give Kerio an honest try now. Thanks for the info!

I,ve been running SGP on trial, have now put Kerio on and as Dealer says , I'm very impressed with it so far, early days yet.
:)

Aye, I'll keep a lookout for future versions. I'm too used to the options in my Zone Alarm and the programs that go along with it, like, myNetWatchman & Zonelog Analyser.

I do like a few of the options in the Admin Configuartion though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back