Kevin Rose builds a "PC Mini"

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NetRyder, Jan 30, 2005.

1. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

2. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

3. awesome

4. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

wow, got via to give him an unreleased motherboard.

anyway, what did he do with the mac stuff that used to be inside?

5. NetRyder

I'm pretty sure he's not going to leave it like that. He'll probably put the Mac back together when he's done with the project.

It'll be funny to see some of the comments that start flowing in. Remember what happened to that poor guy who built a PC inside a G5 case? :p

Edit: I already see one:
    "Racist"... [​IMG]

6. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

lmfao nice :D

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

OOoooooh, no one's ever built a really small PC before. :p :D

Seriously though, good to see Kevin putting together pointless (but fun) little projects like this and impressing the chimps and upsetting the zealots. Top bombing!

note: post may contain sarcasm, stop your whining

8. NetRyder

Hey, it's still fun, regardless of whether it's been done before or not. :D

9. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

There is a company that makes PCs that are the size of floppy drives. This is no big deal. mini-ITX boards have been out for nearly 2 years now. I built an ITX system into an old Sparc case. I also build one for a friend into a PS2 case. If you want a MAC buy a MAC. If you want a PC buy a PC. Noone really cares how small or big they are. My PC is powerful and it sits next to my desk. It could be twice the size and it would still just sit next to my desk. It's the same size of the PC I used to lug around for LAN parties... I'm not much of a fan of "MacinTRASH" I think it looks neat, but "neat" doesn't always work.

10. NetRyder

Wow, let's not get so serious, guys. I've seen Mini-ITX machines before too...in fact, I posted a link to a machine that was built within the Windows XP cardboard box in one of the other threads a couple of weeks ago.

It's just a fun little project...let's just treat it as that, ok? :)

11. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

I wasn't bashing the project (it's neat... replace a MAC with PC stuff... can't really bash that!)... I was bashing all of the people out there that are like "OMG! MacinTRASH made a small computer! It's never been done before!" :)

12. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

That is pretty cool. Personally though, unless if it was for things like LAN parties, media center boxes, and similar projects, I'd prefer my laptop to carry around and my full tower Antec for my desktop. I tend to see these extra small PCs as an oddities of nature, they are cool because they are so small and different, but I really wouldn't want one if I had to pay money for it. It is a pretty cool project though. As for Kevin, hes probably the only one on G4TechTV who knows what he's talking about.

13. NetRyder

I agree with you on that one. I prefer to have a portable notebook and a desktop that can be easily upgraded and expanded, which is why I've never bothered with SFF machines. After all, the tower just sits under the desk and does its thing. Then there are those who value looks/size over everything else.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

14. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

sounds like he couldnt use the original cdrom drive though, which is a slight shame. That would have boosted the project a bit higher imo

15. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

^ Yeah that sucked. I wonder if there was just not enough room, or if it was Apple using a non-standard CD-ROM.

16. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

thought a lapptop cdrom would fit in? :eek:

17. egghead

egghead Double O Egghead

off topic

i clicked on the link and got this message in firfox
    Error: Unable to delete the following file: ee7a155942a41b282face6d8d32ab03e

clicked it again and it worked fine...hmm.....

18. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I believe he just didn't have room. It's questionable if the system would even run (or if it did for how long). If anything it shows the effort Apple put into designing the mini.

19. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

It is a neat project, one of these days after I get a job I plan on buildinga mini pc to install in my car.

20. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

That look cool. makes me want a shuttle pc :)