Kernel Panics in 10.4

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by SPeedY_B, May 6, 2005.

1. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Fecking thing. Just had my third Kernel panic in 48 hours. The first two came overnight whilst the machine was unattended, however the third has just hit me whilst in the middle of a game of Doom3 (the cheek of it!)

That, along with hardware info, is what was sent off to Apple in the error report, however, it means feck-all to me, can anyone else give a heads up as to what it means, if anything?

Oh, just found panic.log, may be more useful:

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

You may have said it before, but did you upgrade, archive or clean install?

Sorry, I think I've only experienced one kernel panic total, so I'm not really experienced with them.

I've seen people post about kernel panics caused by non-Apple RAM. They determined this by taking the RAM out and not being able to reproduce the problems afterwards. I hope this isn't normal since I just ordered some Kingston RAM for my Mac.

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  3. SPeedY_B

I've been using the ram in here (Crucial) for quite some time now without problem.

With regards to upgrading, I wiped and installed.

4. muzikool

I found this:

The fact that the modules referred to in the panic.log include an Airport module would lead me to suspect that there is something wrong with your Airport card. You might try removing it and reseating it...

5. SPeedY_B

Will give that a try if it happens again. I think that it may be the official BitTorrent client (The only kernel panics I've ever had, have been caused by bloody torrent clients :p) however should I need to power down/reboot again, I'll move the card to a different PCI slot.

6. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Looks to be an Airport problem, if the problem persists, try fixing permissions, and or errors using Disk Utility. If that still does not work, reseat the airport card.

7. muzikool

Speedy, do you have DiskWarrior? I always see posts about running that app as if it performs magic or something. ;)

8. SPeedY_B

Never even heard of it to be honest. Will give it a look.

9. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

mbuf's are memory buffers used mainly in networking and by networking drivers - you may have a networking device on the way out. Beyond that I couldnt help.

10. muzikool

That would go along with the Airport module then.

11. SPeedY_B

Fecking Belkin rubbish! :p

If it happens again tonight (Still running at time of post! :D) then I'll yoink the 802.11 card out.. fortunately the PowerMac is close enough to the router to be CAT5'd in. :)

12. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Never heard of DiskWarrior? Really? :p

Anyhoo I don't think that'll fix your problem as it does look to be network(airport) related. I'm guessing perhaps a bug in Tiger as some Bonjour stuff was changed and other networking stuff for Tiger. :)

13. SPeedY_B

A lot of networking was changed in Tiger, and it's been noted that some apps cause Kernel Panics, however BT isn't one of them, and that (aside from background services, etc) was the only thing running both times.

It survived last night, running TomatoTorrent instead of the official, only 2 torrents running rather than 9 though.

God knows, as I say, if it happens again, I'll yoink the 802.11 card :D

14. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Why aren't you running azureus? Wasn't it you that told me that all the other clients on Mac were the spawn of Satan? :p

15. SPeedY_B

Azureus doesn't like dual-CPU machines and guess what it does? Kernel panics :p

It was said to be fixed, however since the Official client hit 4.x I've been using that as it's much nicer and simpler than Azureus. I will likely use Azureus again, however I'm bit put off by it :p

16. Scooter

Scooter Random Apple Dude

Thats what I use. Me thinks tis a very yummy client :lick:

17. logisticprism

logisticprism Time Dr. Freeman?

I got 2 kernel panics while trying to run Aquaduct (found here), maybe it had to do with that aiport thing. i dunno.

18. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

you should use the proper Apple Airport card :D

19. logisticprism

logisticprism Time Dr. Freeman?

it's the one that came with my powerbook...installed by apple.

20. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

I was actually talkin about SPeedY_B's belkin one :p

anyway, have you tried reseating it logisticprism?