indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi
I have used a few firewalls now,

Zonealarm standard and pro
Sygate pro
XP built in
and Kerio

Due to advice found here on these forums i have switched to kerio as zonealarm and sygate tended to slow my connection down too much (only 56k :( )

My problem is that i am lacking in networking knowledge, so i am unsure how to configure kerio, i know it urgently needs doing as i havebeen effect by the blaster worm recently (norton got it though) and on the firwall tests on the fourm it failed.

Are there any good rulesets available to import and use ?
or any step by step guides ?

Thanks

(btw i have both version 4 rc3, and 2.1.5)

I have Sygate Pro and it has never slowed my connection down, Firewalls can't slow your connection down, proxy servers slow them down. ZAP just over takes your system and slows everything else down..

You are on a 56k ?? if you are not and your speeds are 56k then it's the connection, no firewall will slow it down that much. anycase Being on a 56k you don't need a firewall .. .it's pointless to have one, most people with dial up are'nt on long enough for anything to get out or in ... Unless you are using aol and want to block all info from going back to them, which is next to impossible ..

I don't believe the blaster worm came from you just browsing, it probably came from an e-mail or something in which a firewall won't help .... as for rules, you just intall it and let it do it's own thing, you don't have to set any rules, and if you try to without knowing what you are doing you will screw things up worse ...

It's odd I have'nt got any viruses yet .. and I don't even run a antivirus .. I do run a router with DMZ disabled and Sygate Pro Firewall (to keep info from getting out) and I have yet to have any probs .. but your case a firewall won't help any ...

Ok I may give sygate another go...

Is the pro version much better it used to be but not used it in a while.....

I do want a firewall callme paraniod if you like but anything that can stop holes in all the software seems good to me also the amount of web bugs, ad ware and spyware is crazy now. As for the blaster worm it was just from browsing.

yeah pro is the best option .. It has more features than the regular, but if you are lookin fore free, then the regular is the way to go ... either way it's a good firewall ..

Hmm well i installed the pro version lastnight that I ownloaded ages ago. Strange its still the most current version... nevermind :rolleyes:

Anyway.. as soon as i was installed i knowticed slow down for a web page would not load (yet when prompted i set it to allow in the pop-up rules) I ten closed sygate and the page loaded :confused:

any and all internet connections should have a firewall. its all about safety. I set up ZA on my sisters computer, she uses a 56k connection. Any unprotected computer, is a potential victim computer.

Originally posted by indyjones
Hmm well i installed the pro version lastnight that I ownloaded ages ago. Strange its still the most current version... nevermind :rolleyes:

Anyway.. as soon as i was installed i knowticed slow down for a web page would not load (yet when prompted i set it to allow in the pop-up rules) I ten closed sygate and the page loaded :confused:

when you open anything that needs to connect to the net there should be a pop-up asking you if you want to allow that particualr thing to access the net, if you say yes it will connect - if you say no it will not connect .. Also go to the options and make sure you are'nt running stealth mode, what that does is block all cookies - some sites require cookies and won't let you go to them if you are in stealth mode ..

and STAY AWAY from Zone Crap ... They are Garbage ...

Well I have once again ditched sygate pro.... It seems just to slow my connection speed down web pages take longer some time out etc.... AND SO I downloaded and installed kerio 4.0.2 and used a defult ruleset someone created (found it on some security fourm by googling) then when customising some settings (and switching off the annoying web filtering (firebird does this anyway) and the extreamly annoying program launcher watcher) I seems to be running far smoother and much much quicker. I open some of the test pages that have been posted here before and it passed them all so i am happy :)
If anyone wants a look at the ruleset i will happily post it
cheers all :)

indyjones when I page takes a while to load it's not the firewall - it is the connection .. But in any case I am happy you got it sorted ..

Thanks but its not the connection as there is a speed difference bettween enabling and disabling the sygate firewall on the same connection and kerio is faster. Who knows a wrong setting in sygate somewhere maybe i could not find anything but nevermind kerio uses less resources anyway :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back