Keep losing ICS

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Ezergeezer, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Ezergeezer

Ezergeezer OSNN Addict

Just a minor one this but, I have two computers with XP Pro networked together all set up with ICS and all working, for a while anyway !
    What happens is, if I only use the host computer and dont turn on the other for a couple of days the one I switch on seems to lose the ICS and does'nt recognise the another computer is there !!

Both computers dont seem to hold the fact that they are in a network if turned on at different times.

Any ideas ?

2. Ezergeezer

Ezergeezer OSNN Addict

Come on people you must know something !!!!!

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

This sounds very strange. The way you describe it I must say I have no clue. If it was using the clients and then turning on the host that caused a problem, it would be less strange.

Sorry. :(

4. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

If you mean you don't see it in network places, XP only polls for computers every 14 minutes (I think that what it is). Anyways, you could try leaving the Computer Browser service on automatic on the host PC.

Can you get to the PC's shares by typing the UNC path \\Workgroup\ClientPC

5. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

I have the same problem with my laptop (that is connected to my desktop). I have yet to find a fix

6. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Wow...this is a strange problem. I used to use ICS before I got my router, and everything used to work great.

7. jonifen

jonifen pffff...

using static or dynamic IP addressing for the client machine?