Just graduated, though financial prospects does have me a bit concerned

As for references, most employers are going to be looking for professional managerial references.

Well, unfortunately, employers in the specific, wouldn't be possible really, as

- I'm starting a new career in a field I have never worked in before. The trick is more getting a chance to prove myself for someone starting out, who doesn't have prior experience to fall back on.

- I've been a full time student (actually greater then full time, arguably with concurent enrollment at 2 schools) since 1997.

- I haven't had any employment since I started school out here, so no recent job history.

I already know a prospective employer will be wondering why no recent work history, and what I've been doing, for which I can only say attending school.

Right now, I'm trying to work out references with former teachers/professors, and there is one individual who used to work in the computer lab in the building next door, which prior to him being promoted up to a position as UNIX admin in CIT, I used to see a fair amount. He mentioned several years back that he'd be willing to provide a reference. Albeit asking him again, might take a little time, as he no longer works here, and is on contract for some work down at the local military base. He apperently does teach one class here now, so his local email is supposedly still good however.

One of the people I asked, has approved, namely the professor I had in the network security class this past summer semester. He also works as a senior administrator over at UNM's (the other college I attend) north campus, in addition to doing teaching work over here. He got back via email shortly after, and said he'd be happy to provide a reference.

I'm now trying to contact a teacher I had in the Linux aps install class I took last semester, where I did a fairly sizeable project on setting up honey pots and all, for which I was commended (end of semester) for the time, effort, and work I put into the thing. His next class this semster starts at 5:30, so I'm hoping to be able to ask him before his class begins.

In a manner of speaking, full time student was the only "career" I have had for the past several years, and professors have served as the only recent professional contacts I can possibly site for this time period...

OK, I have a second contact... The second professor I asked is also willing to provide a reference (as well as a letter of recommendation, should it be required). The only thing is, the college had passed out new policy regulations which he had received, concerning what information they, as employees of the college are and are not permitted to share, when used as a reference. Part of an addendum to their privacy policy or something. For instance, they aren't allowed to provide info about grades or a student's progress now...

He wants to consult with the new policy first, before getting back to me with contact info and all, so he's sure he's in compliance with university policy. But otherwise is more then happy to be used as a reference...

As to references, would it be abjectly bad if one only has 2?

OK, here's the scoop. I got the 2 references I have mentioned, but the third individual never had gotten back to me, and it's quite possible the old email address for him is bad. There's no other contact info, and given that he's a contractor with the military now, might not be all that easy to get ahold of.

I had 2 possible other references that I could have used in times past as well... But unfortunately, one of the people passed away about 4 years ago from a bad case of pnemonia and having also been a chain smoker prior to when she came down down with this, which only exasberated matters. A third reference (all 3 of these people had told me they would be willing to provide a reference at one time), hadn't taken her death all to well, blamed himself for still being alive (he also caught the same case of pnemonia), comming out only to get her to the hospital in time to watch her die :( )

Unfortunately, they were both acquintences of mine, and the person who died as well as myself had talked a fair amount. I don't think she would have wanted her death to have resulted in this however... Actually these 2 wished they could have hired a friend as well as myself (he told me after this friend of mine inquired about a job from them), but couldn't due to finances. They both were decided to do just about whatever they could to help me get my own foot in the door however (short of being able to hire anymore labor, which they actually could have used the help, but couldn't afford it), prior to this unfortunate series of events.

There's a third possible reference, the Oracle teacher I had several years ago. If he's moved on elsewhere, I'm sorta scratching my head where I could get a third reference from...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back