Just bought a G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by tdinc, Jul 16, 2006.

1. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

My friend just got her new Macbook pro and sold me her old Powermac for $175

just brought it home.

[​IMG]

G4 dual 450mhz
    1gb ram
    30gb HD and 80gb HD.
    Mac OS 10.4.5 Tiger,
    2 (64MB) (FX 5200) video cards
    DVD burner (pioneer) Superdrive.

I want to upgrade the processors, any input?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  2. ejn74

ejn74 Folding Master! Political User Folding Team

I'd think it would be good the way it is. It ought to increase your folding that's for sure.

3. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

You can upgrade the CPU's I think, but I will let SPeedY_B talk about that, all I know is that you can check online I believe.

4. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

OSX don't really need lots of processing power, just lots of ram, it eats it, 1GB is good so it shouldn't be to bad. Try reformatting it with OSX and updating it all through Software Update and see how it runs.

5. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Don't touch the CPU's. If you really have money to burn you'll want to look into Sonnet, GigaDesigns and PowerLogix upgrades, (reviews and info here - take a good look around that site before making any decisions) they're essentially plug and play, though I think the boost you'll see in that particular machine will be minimal (Your FSB amongst other things will likely be a crippling bottleneck).

I'd say chuck another 512mb/1GB stick in there if you feel it to be sluggish, which it likely will be, it's an old machine, though still a perfectly capable one, and no doubt a machine I'd happily and contently run as my main and only desktop. :)

6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Nice computer for $175. I hope you're happy with it. :)