Just a simple question...

• Thread starter PlagueWielder
  • Start date
P

PlagueWielder

Hey

Im going to install a network (to share the net connection) in my freinds house. He has 2 computers, one with XP home and one with 98SE. I installed the NIC in the 98 machine and the modem is connected via usb to the xp machine.

My question is if all I need to do is just run the networking wizard on the xp machine and configure it to share the connection? Do I need to setup anything special on the 98 machine?

Thanks in advance

Run the networking wizard on the Windows XP machine on the Windows 98 computer. That will setup the machine.

I did that but Im having problems:

The XP machine can see the 98 machine but cannot access it. The 98 machine cant see the XP machine and therefore cant access the internet either.

BTW its XP Pro, I got them mixed, lol.

Anyone know how to solve that?

Thanks

Check the TCP/IP settings in the network connections properties on both computers. Make sure they are both using the same subnet mask, and that the IP addresses are in the same subnet as well. (eg: 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2)

Have you enabled Internet Connection Sharing on your XP Pro box? You also need to set the IP address of the XP Pro box as the "Gateway" in the TCP/IP settings on the 98 box.

The problem is most likely passwords, set up a user account on the 98 machine that is identical to the username/password combo on the Pro machine. Make sure that simple File Sharing is disabled on the XP Pro machine (Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > uncheck use simple file sharing) Forget the networking wizard even exists, it usually does nothing but overcomplicate things.

Thanks, Ill give that a try and let you know if its working.

Ok, I got the network to work and we even got some gta2 action going on but the 98 machine still cant access the internet.

I tried everything and then I found out that it wasnt 98SE but its 98 (first edition). Does that matter?

Anyone know how to make the net connection work?

Thanks

how are these computers connected, a router, 2 NICs in one?

I already wrote that in my first post.

Theres one NIC in each computer and they are both connected with a cross-over cable. The modem is connected via USB to the XP machine.

Have you enabled ICS on the XP machine?

have you configured the 98 box to point to the XP box as NetRyder said in his post?

Personally I have never been a fan of ICS, if you drop $50 on a Linksys, this would be up and running 2 days ago :)

Its not mine, its my friends. I have my own network with a router and I know its way easier to set up.

Anyway, I set the XP machine to have 192.168.0.1 as the ip and 255.255.255.0 as the subnet and the 98 machine to have 192.168.0.2 as the ip, 255.255.255.0 as the subnet, and 192.168.0.1 as the gateway.

On the 98 machine, make sure that you have 192.168.0.1 set as your DNS server as well, that is the only other thing I can think of. You said you have network connectivity right.

Ill try that DNS thing, I didnt change anything in the settings.

What do u mean buy network connectivity?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back