JumpDrive Problem

Sinster

OSNN Senior Addict
This is my problem in fact I can fix it by a reboot but at this point I really can't reboot my computer (in the middle of something). I unplug my scanner from the usb port and plug the Lexar Jump Drive into the USB slot.. Windows isn't picking it up. I've tried the Jump Drive in 3 others computers and it was detected. I even tried scanning for "Hardware Changes" no luck. If I plug the scanner back into the port it works great. So my question is how do I get the USB to recognize a new component without rebooting? :dead:

Well the problem is, is that your switching between a static device and active storage device, and WinXP really doesn't like that. What you need to be able to do is to setup the scanner as a removable device so you have the "remove hardware" option in the system tray. Now as to how you force that, I don't know.

The other option would be to get a cheap 4 port PCI USB 2.0 card so that your jump drive and your scanner don't have to fight over 1 USB port.

First off, most computers manufactured today have at least 2 USB ports. Isn't there another one available? Next, it would appear that the driver your scanner is using is completely taking over the port, which is an obvious problem for a hot swappable device port.

Suggested solutions:
1. Look for an updated driver for your scanner that wont completely take over the port.
2. Plug the jumpdrive into another available USB port. ( Probably on the back of your system, next to the keyboard and mouse ports )
3. Buy a USB hub which will turn a single USB port into 4 USB ports, thus allowing you to plug your jumpdrive in without having to unplug any other devices. ( this could be plugged into your OTHER USB port which is more than likely on the back of your system )

Hope this helps,
CipheR

Thanks Mav and Chipher,

I have a total of 5 USB ports. 1 upfront (where I use to plug the Scanner in) and 4 in back. My Mouse, Printer, and Scan Disc card reader occupy 3 out of those 4. Now the scanner occupies the 4th and the front one is open. I did try to plug the JD in one of the back ones but it is a bit wide and hits the other USB cables.

It really isn't that big of a deal... Thought there might be a way around rebooting.

Wow...
You're not going to believe this... I just witness a miricle :) J/K... Well I was sitting here doing some work and the next thing on my taskbar the little bubble pop up stating that it found the Jumpdrive... talk about lag :) The jump drive been plug in that port since about 10:30 est and here it is 12:40..

another question. Can I convert the jump drive over to NTFS?

Sinster said:
another question. Can I convert the jump drive over to NTFS?

Nope, FAT32 at the most(if it supports it)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back