javascript function to change status bar (advanced)

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by powerchordpunk, Jan 24, 2004.

1. powerchordpunk

powerchordpunk OSNN One Post Wonder

ok so what i want to do is have the status bar change if the user's resolution is less than a certain size. i have come pretty far, but all i could do was get the notification i want written in on the webpage itself with the document.write command. the code currently is...
    Code:
    <script language="JavaScript1.2">
    <!--

var actionwidth=1025
    var actionheight=769
    if (screen.width <actionwidth||screen.height <actionheight)
    document.write("NOTICE: Your current resolution prohibits the viewing of this page as intended by the webmaster. Please increase your resolution!")
    //-->
    </script>
    note the use of document.write and the closings of (" and ")

that all works fine and dandy on the page it self (enclosed in body), but again, i want to put this in the status bar of the user's browser. i tried window.status in place of document.write but that doesn't work. also, i have a window.defaultstatus script in the head, but i don't think that matters. one more thing, the action width and height variables are so i could test the script at my res of 1024*768.

if this isn't the place to be asking this sort of question, plz point me where to. THANKS.

2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Some people dont allow javascript to change the status bar. I have no clue how to do it, but i suggest putting it at the bottom of the page.

3. dubstar

dubstar format c:

if your using document.write, and thats what shows on the webpage, couldnt you just do
    Code:
    document.write("~status bar display code here~")
    or instead of using the document.write, use document.onload