I've been building computers for

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sinster, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

awhile and I have always installed the S/PDIF cable, but does the computer really utilize it when converting over sound? What purpose does it serve on DVD and CDroms?

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Is that the digital coax cable? I'm not familiar with the abbreviations on these. :p

3. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I haven't used it for years and still play CD audio. Try removing it and if it still works then you are golden.

I think the deal is that once the CD players used to decode the audio and send em over that cable (cd analogue?), nowadays the data is sent to the player and it decodes it, therefore no cable is needed (cd digital?)

4. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

Electric is correct. i haven't plugged that is in years. Its only used when you play CD's direct from the CD-Rom.

5. LocKStocK

LocKStocK Smokin & Jokin

Always wondered what that cable did:)
    Our first Windows 95 PC had one!

6. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Systems haven't needed it since Win98.

Heeter

7. synical33

synical33 X2 & Lovin' It

ever since I heard about that whole S/PDIF thing I never installed it on any of my computers. Mind boggling that thing you call S/PDIF but I have been building computers since 2000 when I got into it heavily. I guess I can call myself an enthusiast now :D:D:D:D:D.

8. Moonwraith

Moonwraith Moderator Folding Team

Hmmm - i dunno what the hell happened with my first pc, but after putting that cable back in .. (somewhere in the wrong place i'm guessing) the cable went up in smoke and melted off all the casing :p so i never used one again

9. synical33

synical33 X2 & Lovin' It

thats freakin sweet dude :D :p

10. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

S/PDIF: Short for Sony/Philips Digital Interface, it's a standard audio file transfer format.

S/PDIF allows the transfer of digital audio signals from one device to another without having to be converted first to an analog format. Maintaining the viability of a digital signal prevents the quality of the signal from degrading when it is converted to analog.

Read this and this :)

11. drz01

drz01 Weekend DJ

Actually that cable is an analogue cable not a digital one. The os/computer now carries the signal digitally through the pci bus now.

12. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

There are two connectors, one four pin (analogue) and one two (methinks) pin (digital).

13. gonaads

Methinks you correct. I have both connected to my SB Live sound card.

[​IMG]

Internal digital SP DIF/SP-DIF audio cable for digital output from CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, and CD-RW drives to advanced sound cards. Also called S/P-DIF and S/PDIF cables.

This cable is used for digital instead of analog audio output. The conventional 4-pin audio cable/connector is analog.

14. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

yeah i've always been taught thats its for direct listening to off audio cds. i had it connected on my old pc but threw it out when i upgraded

15. Moonwraith

Moonwraith Moderator Folding Team

it wasn't...scared the life out of me! :p

[​IMG]
    Arghhh! There it is again! giving me nightmares

16. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

Thx for your responses and now I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one :)

17. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

you dont nede any cable except the ide/sata/scsi on optical drives these days
    all will play the audio over the data bus. 99.9999999...% of drives dont even have the digital output wired up internally :p

18. gonaads

DVD drives do. :D