is this possible?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mooo, Apr 16, 2005.

1. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

My cable modem is acting funny. When i hook up without the router i am fine. But once i hook the router up I get disconnected a lot. Kind of like i am getting packeted. Is it possible to have the modem go directly to me and use ICS to the wireless router?

2. yea you could do that you just have to tell to share the connection and the use that conneciton as a gateway for other computer

3. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

would the wireless still work? and do you have a guide somewhere? I can't search the internet because i get dropped ever 1-2minutes :(
    i just leave this up and refresh

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Why don't you just plug an ethernet cable from one of the router ports lan to your machine and let the rest pick up the wireless signal?

one guide, fetching more.

wireless setup
    http://www.wireless-network-tutorial.com/download.htm

ICS setup
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/ics.mspx

For now just plug the cable from the modem into your lan port on the main PC. Then you will need a second network card in the main PC to connect to the router.

You should not be getting those drop outs so there may be a problem with interference from a neighboring wirless setup, cell phones, wireless, home phones (or in the case of a buddy his washing machine...). There are trouble shooting guides in the first link and if signal strength is an issue ggogle for windsurfer antenna (do it yourself project double signal strength).

5. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

i am using it directly, but my brother uses the wireless. He is the only reason i got the router :(. It was the whole modem being reset for about 1 week and having to do the reboot cycle, now its just the internet dropping.

6. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

I think i might of fixed it another way. The router had a setting to clone my PC's mac address. So i did that and it has had no problems since (5minutes), now its just a new IP i gotta learn.

7. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

What brand router was it so I don't get one. Mine has been problem free.

8. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

sometimes a firmware update is all you need.
    my dlink 624 used to be a nightmare...but firmware has helped!