is there goin 2 b a AMD mobo with PCI-E in the near future?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dan04, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Dan04

Dan04 OSNN Addict

Hi Everyone,

I was just curious if anyone knew if and when there will be a mobo released for AMD that had PCI-E etc, also as well the new P4's with PCI-E - is there any performance or is it all hype for intel :p

2. logisticprism

logisticprism Time Dr. Freeman?

no, pci-x is the real thing. it has real backing, we've been using the older PCI slots for at least a decade, and that's creating a bottleneck in our systems. this is why AGP was invented for graphics cards. PCI speeds just didn't cut it. pci-x should go up to 16x with different sizes of the slots depending on the speed. and yes, amd will have motherboards supporting pci-x. check these out for more info on pci-x with amd motherboards. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15432
    http://www.pcstats.com/releaseview.cfm?releaseID=1104

3. Dan04

Dan04 OSNN Addict

thanks but i was meanin PCI Express when i said PCI-E

4. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

thats what he is talkin about...he just used x for xpress. Atleast i am assuming cause i just did a search for pci-x and everyone is talkin about pci-express. also if u go to the sites the talk about pci-e

5. logisticprism

pci-x == pci eXpress

6. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

u got it :p

7. Dan04

Dan04 OSNN Addict

alrighty :p

8. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

no... pci-x is like a double size pci slot
    pci-e = pci Express

9. Dan04

Dan04 OSNN Addict

ok ok lol :p

10. logisticprism

wrong, there is no difference between pci-x and pci-express or pci-e. they're all the same thing. there is a size difference between different pci-express slots that are 1x,2x,4x,8x,16x (i think), but that doesn't mean the names are different, it's all either pci-x, pci-express, or pci-e, don't confuse yourself.

11. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

PCI-X is used in mainstream servers only, providing a, still parallel, 64-bit bus, running at 133 MHz. PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI. PCI-E is the new PCI-Express standard, providing a much faster serial interface, running at higher speeds than 133 MHz (I don't know the exact speeds). PCI-E isn't backwards compatible with PCI.

12. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

Cool...thanks for clearing up the acronyms...lol. Now if someone can answer the original post regarding AMD and PCI Express, I'd be curious to know an answer myself. ;)

Melon

13. logisticprism

well when i was referring to pci-x a while ago i mean pci-express

14. Dan04

Dan04 OSNN Addict

thanks melon lol, i think my post is confusing more people than actually answering the main question lol ;):p

15. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Back to the main question. There are chipsets out there but nobody has announced an AMD MB yet. I did a search a week or 2 ago.

16. Dan04

Dan04 OSNN Addict

17. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

the thing is that people have sort of become desperate for a replacement for the comparitively slow pci standard, and it seems that now that pci-e has been released, pci has suddenly become really really ancient. it certainly wont help amd sales until they get some pci-e mobos out there

well thats just mho.

18. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator