Is there a way to block other users from installing programs?

Yes you can. With win 2000 & XP give them limited accounts.

well I have a guest account and I have my account. I don't see any options where I can prevent the guest from downloading or installing programs.

If someone is logged on as a guest I dont know about stopping a download but I would think that when they try to installit will say you cannot because you dont have .... bla bla

and they cannot install programs , as for making a new account go to control panel /user accounts and make the account there

Re: guest

Originally posted by Kermit
If someone is logged on as a guest I dont know about stopping a download but I would think that when they try to installit will say you cannot because you dont have .... bla bla

and they cannot install programs , as for making a new account go to control panel /user accounts and make the account there

oh damn you're right. My cousin downloaded winmx a while ago though. How did that happen? She doesn't know anything about computers so it's not like she got around it somehow.

There has to be a way

The default setting for a guest account will not stop a person from downloading a file but I am pretty sure that they cannot install it , but there has to be a way to stop them from downloading I will look into when I got time for now maybe someone who knows can jump in and throw you a bone lol :D

the only thing that i am sure of is that if someone logs on the the guest acount they will only be able to access basic funtions (ie. internet) i dont think they can install because they need admin capabilities

Re: There has to be a way

I'd like to block downloads too. I don't want my families music on my computer :(

I'm not very sure either, but you could play around with the Guest account settings in gpedit.msc and see if there is any such option.

nothing yet

I am reading and looking all the the admin tool , security policies , user policies , account settings and have not yet found it will keep trying to see what I can find

Did you trythis?

Ok try this dunno but it might worklog on as a guest , get on IE go to tool /internet option/ security highlight the icon for each level first on is internet go to custom button and in each set it to not allow downloads , now as a guest will you have access to this setting I dont know , I dont have a guest account enabled but in IE in the tools / options /security you can set IE to not allow any downloads, if you do this as a guest log off and no one will know what you did and as long as they dont know too much about it they probably wont figure out wtf happened :D :D

Use gpedit to modify a lot of stuff related to that. start-->run...
enter [gpedit] press enter

would be gpedit.msc

without the .msc on mine anyways it wont do nothing needs the .msc to work and if you look back I did not find anything at all in admin tools and spent over an hour looking for something to help, olny thing I could figure was what I said about IE and the tools /options /security ....... do you see a setting in the admin tools or the gpedit as you said above? cause I did not see anything

Preventing downloads through IE

If you were using group policy, you can specify the IE settings and they cannot be changed by users. Set for "Security" a custom setting and you can specify to disallow file downloads. Kind of like one other person was saying. Then, in group policy specify that you want the security tab in IE to be hidden from users.

Prohibiting Users from installing.

In XP home there are two versions of the administrator account, one that appears at the XP log-on screen during the install procedure (default for all accounts) and the real one that you can only access through safe mode. XP professional is similar (and simpler) to Win 2000. The “Guest account” should be disabled unless you have a specific reason not to.

If all software on your computer is XP compliant, stopping (non administrators) from installing programmes that they have downloaded, or even from a CD should be easy as you can restrict NTFS write permissions (not the only way) providing that the NTFS file system is in place.

It is virtually impossible to do with fat32 as the steps necessary would limit the user to viewing files only. It’s actually simpler to use the .NET interface and some scripts to control user accounts but this is not for the timid.

If you have XP home then stopping users (who know what they are doing) from installing anything is not easy and requires an in-depth knowledge of how to set-up users from safe mode. A simple error here can lead to many wasted hours, one of the reasons why XP home should have never been released.
In addition software that’s installed using XP home by an administrator sometimes does not work for other users, especially win 98 programmes, or can cause interaction between users that were not intended by the administrator (see file/folder inheritance). This also applies to XP compliant software.

Ordinarily, the Administrator account is hidden from view. It appears on the Welcome screen only in the following situations:

No other administrative user accounts exist.
You start your computer in Safe Mode (by pressing F8 during startup).

The Administrator account is logged on and you're using Fast User Switching. Nonetheless, the account does exist, and it takes care of some important functions. First, because it can't be deleted, it provides a safety net in case you somehow manage to delete all other accounts. You can log on as Administrator and then create other accounts. Second, it's the only account that can log on to the Recovery Console, your last-ditch opportunity for repairing a damaged system.

By default, the Administrator password in Windows XP Home Edition is blank. This isn't the gaping security hole that you might imagine, however, because in Home Edition the Administrator account is barred from logging on locally or through a network connection. You do, however, need to know that the password is blank if you ever need to run Recovery Console, which requires the Administrator password. If the blank password concerns you, you can change it.

Logging On as Administrator

If you're using Windows XP Professional, you can log on as Administrator. If the Welcome screen is enabled, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice to display the Log On To Windows dialog box. (If the Welcome screen is disabled, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete one time as you would to log on with any other account.) Type Administrator in the User Name box, and enter the password you created for the Administrator account during set-up. Except in Safe Mode, Windows XP Home Edition users can't log on using the Administrator account, because it is prevented by account restrictions from logging on.

This is more complicated that it appears, or is it?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back