Is there a program

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Sinster, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

that fixes Corrupt .rar files. I rar'd some excel files from work and need to open up here and I keep getting a corrupt file.

2. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

do you use WinRAR, cause I think you can fix some with that program. Other then that, I do not know of one.

Sinster likes this.
  3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

You can't fix a corrupted file. If winrar can't extract any files then the corruption affects all of the files in the archive or it affects the key.

Sinster likes this.
  4. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

There's only prograns like Quickpar and Smartpar that use .par files to correct .rar files. But the .par files are basically a small group of images of the .rar files. So say someone made an image of a CD, then rar'd it up into 20 different rars. They would have to make a small group of say 5 par files to be able to correct corrupt, or missing .rar files from that group.

But I'm sure you are just looking for something that can correct a corrupt one by assumption of file structure.

Sinster likes this.
  5. egghead

egghead Double O Egghead

in winrar there is an option in the tools section to repair the archive

Sinster likes this.
  6. yea you can fix it using winrar or if you can't then upload your file here and we'll take a look at it

Sinster likes this.
  7. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

There is, as long as the person archiving the file selects "Put Recovery Record" before they run it. If you don't select that option and try to run the repair tool it will give you an error saying it couldn't find the recovery record.

Sinster likes this.
  8. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

yes like what I said

9. Kush

Kush High On Life!

never worked for me though :S

10. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

That is probably because the recovery record wasn't there. If it is there, it should work.