Is there a good defragger for win XP ?

Any of these programs I can get for free, and if so link? I downloaded Power Defrag, and ill admit my defragging got done in about a game of Madden 98...

And the windows xp defrag IS incredibly slow, and power defragger is not compatible with win XP...so, any I can download and if so do you have the links?

Thanks!

ive used both and i believe that speed disk screws with the master boot esp if u r using the bootvis tool from microsoft...(the one that makes it SUPPOSEDLY start up in 30 seconds...of course they dont tell u youll be waiting a good two minutes after the gui boots before u can use the damn thing...thanks MS!)...speed disk consistently fragmented the drive...diskeeper actually got all the contiguous pieces of data all together...if u want to confirm this use both...both analyze yr hard drive before they frag so u can see how bad the drive is...compare them...i think youll find that diskeeper keeps that baby purrin...

All,

One of my holiday wishes is for people to realize the difference between PHYSICAL and LOGICAL clusters!

The file system works at the LOGICAL cluster level. Each partition starts at LOGICAL cluster number 0 and goes for n clusters. This means that defragmenters work at the LOGICAL cluster level. They know that a file starts at LOGICAL cluster x and goes for N clusters. Defragmenters know NOTHING about the PHYSICAL characterists of whatever disk drive technology is being used. Because of this, there is NO way for a defragmenter to LOGICALLY place a file at some track/sector on the PHYSICAL hard drive. While it can be argued that a particular section of a disk platter is fastest, there is NO way for a defragmenter to know where that location is.

Scenario:

We have a 20GB hard drive (which is comprised of multiple platters). On this PHYSICAL hard drive, we have 4 LOGICAL partition: C:\ 8GB - NTFS, D:\ 2GB - FAT16, E:\ 3GB - FAT32, F:\ 7GB - NTFS. Since each and every LOGICAL partition starts at LOGICAL cluster number 0, can somebody please tell me on which PHYSICAL platter on the hard drive the E partition starts? Let's make it more interesting. Now, we have a 100GB RAID set comprised of 5 physical hard drives - each 20GB (each hard drive comprised of multiple platters). Now, on which PHYSICAL hard drive and on what platter does a LOGICAL partition begin? Nobody knows!!!!

Regarding the Windows 2000 Magazine review that was done of PerfectDisk, SpeedDisk, and Diskeeper:

Yes, there are times when SpeedDisk can perform faster than PerfectDisk. The important thing to remember is that SpeedDisk is the lone defrag product that does NOT use the MS defrag APIs. This allows SpeedDisk to get around some of the limitations of the MS defrag APIs. But, it also leaves them vulnerable to any service packs/hot fixes that MS may release to an operating system. The MS defrag APIs take care of all of the low level I/O synchronization that has to occur when defragmenting files online. Part of this I/O synchronization under Windows NT/2000 is cache consistency - the MS defrag APIs take care of flushing the file system cache for a file when it is moved. Is using the MS defrag APIs the fastest way to defragment files? Sometimes not. However, it certainly is the safest. BTW... The tests that were done by the magazine were for older versions of all three products...

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility - as a systems engineer in the support department.

* So far, I can say the reverse of what you say. I tested that myself to see if my defrags take as long as yours, they do not... we did that at NTCompatible.com in fact. I remember doing it well, because I was like "He may have a point in it taking forever" & mine did not! I had already done a defrag by that point, & it was quick on the run I tested for you! It took me 8 minutes to do that one & I had done one previous days before if memory serves me correctly!

So apparently, the difference may be in usage patterns, which would meake sense. If patterns differ from day to day, or there is no distinguishable pattern, SD will constantly shift things around during every defrag. I notice this pattern on my disks. And on a sidk like mine, where most of the files are considered "frequently accessed" by SD, this will cause a lot of rearranging in the defrag run, thus taking a long time. Whereas, on your computer, you seem to have a good pattern set, and thus not a lot of rearranging is going on.
Am I correct in assuming this?

Really now? Windows XP & 98/ME are very different. this is true, but the software technology in the 98/ME defrag is alot like Symantec speedisk and it should be! It's Symantec code, one that practices bands of use & counts of use placements in BOTH 98/ME's defragger & also Windows XP Speedisk 5.0!

They both use filesystem data for tracking files, especially LastAccessDateTime stamps & counts of use of a set of files. this is exactly what those defraggers use from the MFT$ in NT based Os' using NTFS at least, to get their information on WHERE to place those files. I wonder how many diff. users use those machines those folks are sitting on that have these LONG DEFRAG PROBLEMS! Because if it's more than one user, yes. I can see that happening! Diff. patterns of use are being done on those rigs with more than one users using them!

I agree. This may be why the Win98/ME defragmenters took such a long time also...

And, like I said: How many users use those machines? Bet their whole families use them & that makes XP BootOptimization/OptimalLayout go "willy-nilly" as well most likely contantly doing it differently for users that use diff. datafiles & diff. programs from one another.

Could be. But the difference between SD and XPs optimizations is that XP only performs optimizations every three days after compiling its list for layout.ini, and only performs these optimizations at boot time and during idle times, so as not to affect the users time on the computer.
SD on the other hand, rearranges everything at the same time as defragmenting, which takes a long time. XP seems to take like a minute or so to do its stuff, and will quit when interupted until the next available idle time. If you quit SD during a defrag run, everything may be scattered to the wind, and will have to start all over again on the next run.

Windows 2000 Magazine February 2001 issue, where Norton Speedisk blew AWAY both Raxco PerfectDisk & Executive Software's Diskeeper that's where, & you know that! PLUS, again, files out on the outer tracks are read/wrote to faster & this is an industry established fact!

http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=16442&pg=4

Theres holes in this article when it comes to the new DK 7 and XP.

DK 7 were more contrained to the W2K MoveFile APIs. There were much more files that couldnt be defragmented online. This has been greatly alleviated by the XP APIs. That, plus DK 7 runs much better at clearing freespace and defragging all the files in one run than DK 6 did. Thus, IMO, the article isnt valid towards DK7 and Perfect Disk 2000 when it comes to being run on XP.

Now, heres what the article says about Speed Disk...

"In my tests, Speed Disk's consistently solid performance distinguished the product from its competitors. I started Speed Disk on the 8.4GB SQL Server database, and the product finished the job with impressive results, although the defragmentation took twice as long as a Diskeeper run." (So again, I'm not the only to notice this :D )

"One problem I noticed during testing: Speed Disk consistently broke a previously contiguous MFT into at least two fragments. On two occasions, the software divided the MFT into several fragments. I called Symantec to troubleshoot this problem, and an engineer told me that Speed Disk commonly breaks the MFT into a few fragments in the process of consolidating files on a partition. He also stated that Speed Disk's file-placement strategy always causes the MFT to fragment into two pieces. This explanation struck me as odd. However, Speed Disk did a good job at overall file defragmentation, so an additional MFT fragment didn't overly concern me."

"The obvious advantage to this approach is that it eliminates the need to reboot a system and perform an offline defragmentation pass. The disadvantage is that OS changes could potentially render Speed Disk unusable until Symantec revises the code to accommodate the OS changes. Apparently, Symantec thinks that the performance and usability enhancements that its programmatic approach provides are worth this risk. So far, the gamble seems to have been worthwhile. However, because of code changes in WTS, Speed Disk doesn't currently support that platform. At the time of testing, Speed Disk wouldn't run on a Win2K system running Terminal Services."

Now, the article also says some good things, mainly that SD defrags near capacity disks more thoroughly that DK 7. I will agree with this aspect. While DK 7 will defragment >10% freepace drives with little to none fragment, it may still have a tendency to not defrag the freespace. I believe it will just defragment the file in place, and leave it there (for instance, 100 -600 MB movie files or something to that effect). SD will do a better job in this area, but at the cost of taking a long time to defragment.

Now, my question is, where does it say that it "whales" all over the other products as far as making your disk faster? The article states that SD attains to optimize the disk for performance and slower future fragmentation. But it never states benchmarks, or even tells if theres a noticable disk performance speed boost after defragmentation over the other products.

Same idea of bands of use placements of files in their defragger, correct? That is also what the BootOptimization/OptimalLayout features does every 3 days but, they do differ in their ideas of placements on Pagefile.sys & MFT$ and their method? SLOWER, no question, but putting it into the middle of the drive!

Its not the same idea. It uses layout in conjuction with prefetching. When the app is opened, XP monitors the process, noting how much resources is needed when opening that app, etc., and records it in a .pf file. Then it lays out the files needed where it knows where they are, so that future app executes quicker. This is a very general definition, but it kind of shows that the process is different. I think MS is considering good organization over optimal disk placement on the disk. Its quite possible that XP is able to read the files better in the way that it organizes them. This is why they told the defragmenter companies to lay off those files. Which Norton chose to ignore.

Yes, the middle of the disk is slower, but only nominally. I've done a lot of research the past couple of days on this very subject, and every single trustworthy authority said yes, by definition, the outer disk is faster, but not appreciably. In other words, in most situations, you wont notice the difference.
If you modify a 350-engine to give it 5-10 more horsepower, its doubtful that you would notice the difference. But if you modify the carburator to get better gas mileage, your more likely to notice the benefits. I think this is the approach that MS is taking...

You say it's only a nominal increase. I will take that "nominal increase" & alot of those types of increases have had this very machine beat out a Dual CPU Palomino 1.2ghz, & a Dual Athlon 1.4ghz rig, pretty handily along with a Single Athlon 1.7ghz splitting tests right down the middle!

This machine is only at 1127mhz. Explain that! I will for you: By using those 'nominal increases', but ALOT of them, for better (far better) performance than without them!

Those machines I tested against, with 3 diff. benchmarks programs no less (SiSoft Sandra, DrHardware, WinTune all of currrent models) were raw, untuned ones, but FAR STRONGER hardwares Yet, I beat them & folks were like "WoW" ²!

Tunings those 'nominal increases', got me the win. Everytime, against 3 diff. machines expected to beat me! They accumulate to a sum that is greater than the whole of their parts apparently because I too, was VERY surprised!

My friend has a 1 ghz pentium. Mines an Athlon 700. I can beat his computer in almost any benchmark because I have "tuned" my machine more than his, and know the bottlenecks of mine much better than he knows his. This could be due to a number of things, like cruddy parts, cruddy OS, cruddy lack of optimizations.

When doing a comparison, you need to do it on your won machine with both products, and do it in an unbiased manner. Thats a hard thing to do, I know.
The point is, I *have* tried both DK 7 and SD (with your patch) on my system. I havent noticed any increase or decrease in speed between the two products, with the exception of defrag run times.
You have admitted that you havent run DK 7 yet. So how can you say whether its faster or slower?

More in next post....

Not anyone else but me using this rig, & lots of tunings. I am really into that! Only thing I can think of. What I think may be tossing others around is they probably only ran Speedisk once & started complaining (its first run will take time, especially if alot of data regarding LastDateTimeAccessed stamps is built up), & they have multiple users on their home machines that use diff. softwares & files creating ALOT of diff. patterns of use!

System restore points are off, I have my basic setup down at this point & backed up both in Norton Ghost 2002 & also MS SystemRestore. No need to run it anymore, as I backup data onto CdRw & Zipdisks now. Data here, is the only thing that REALLY radically changes now.

I also tune my machine to the best that I can. Every machine requires different tweaks here and there to perform the way the user wants to. It also varies between computers, depending on their set up and use.

System Restore points: this is the answer I was looking for, and may be a revelation :D .
In Nortons tech forum, the techs have acknowledged that using system restore will hamper SDs effectiveness in running a fast run. I just read this two days ago, and am still trying to test to see if it does speed things up when disabling SR. Nothing conclusive yet, but I'll give it some time. This may be something that will help SD users.

Right, but it also does not do "bands of files placements" and from what I saw in the February 2001 issue of Windows 2000 Magazine where Execsoft's Diskeeper & Raxco perfect disk got BLOWN AWAY ACROSS THE BOARDS by Speedisk in terms of time taken to defrag a drive, files left fragmented, uptime and less reboots required to defrag MFT$/Pagefile.sys/Directories & also speed of operations? I will go with Speedisk!

Again, tell me where that article says that PD and DK got "BLOWN AWAY ACROSS THE BOARDS" in time taken to defrag a drive...

"...although the defragmentation took twice as long as a Diskeeper run." quoted from your article.

As far as files left fragmented, I have yet to see DK 7 *ever* leave defragmented files in XP. It may leave a few for some users, but so does SD.
In terms of reboots, due to XPs MoveFile API improvements, and optimization, XP lifts many of those restraints off. So, no reboot is required here also. However, directory consolidation still goes to SD, I'll admit. This is still required offline for DK 7. PD 2000 will consolidate the directories online.

I've never seen it do more than 4 pieces here, & the pieces you see? LOL, I bet you, dollars to donuts, that those are ancillary parts of MFT$ anyhow, that fragment INSTANTLY once the system begins making entries to MFT$ even GHayes, from Raxco tech support, had to concede I was right about that defragging those parts is USELESS (as Raxco claims is a benefit) why?

They begin getting entries again, even if defragged, & start fragmenting once more! The OS uses the MFT$ to store not only entries regarding file data, but even stores small files in it at times temporarily. This is where the fragmentation of MFT$ & its parts starts! NO GETTING AROUND THAT, it's the nature of some of its parts to fragment! Why do you think there is a "reserved space quota" for the MFT$? TO help avoid that problem & so it has enough space ahead of its current locations to avoid that it does not always help, & in most cases does not at all if you have it do enough reading/writing to its contents.

Ok, so we have a possible trade off here. You recommend a MFT that is in the outer rings, but slightly fragmented. I recommend a MFT that is defragmented, and put wherever XP decides to put it.

I still think, based on what I've read, that neither is better or worse than the other.

Can we agree to agree here? :D

Dk7 does it at boottime correct, meaning downtime?

Probably because of using MoveFile API which also fails on sectors/clusters larger than 4096kb. I know, I tested DK, PerfectDisk, & Speedisk on a disk RAID 0 stripe with 16384k clusters... only Speedisk worked, & ON ALL OF THE PARTS DURING OS UPTIME! Mft$, PageFile.SYS, & also folders/directories no less!

Yep, so far.

You might be right on your explanation, but only as far as the directories. Pagefile and MFT are done just fine by XP. But then again, DK7 doesnt have the limitations of SD, such as being incompatible with terminal services, and being service pack dependant, (along with having a crappy GUI :) ) J/K! :D

What? What do you think BootOptimization/OptimalLayout are? They are based on the SAME DATA as Speedisk uses: MFT$ LastTimeDateAccess stamps & counts of those files being accessed. Where did you think that data came from?

But BO/OL are optimized in a different manner. If you were talking about LastTimeDateAccess stamps, then I agree with you there. But theres where the similarities end. See my horsepower vs gas mileage theory.

Again, what fragments is the ancillary TEMPORARY entries small files storage data. Secondly putting those files onto the outermost tracks is a HUGE benefits, as both MFT$ & Pagefile.sys read/write their content ALOT faster there than the middle of the disk. No questions asked, & bottom line for better performance is to have files read/write to their contents faster! I only see the usually 2-4 fragments in mine, & that is not considered "Bad" either, you yourself even noted that to me at NTCompatible.com, anything beyond 4 is bad, correct?

Yes and no...

Explain something to me. In your own words, what does the MFT do, and how does it interact with the other files in the filesystem?

Makes no sense & sounds almost like a "Bug" in XP if it is moving the MFT$ around after BootOptimization/OptimalLayout is turned off. Those are only settings in the OS we are using that are shown to turn that off, correct?

APK

Not necessarily. It *could* be controlled by another function of XP, or may have overrides built in for certain situations (not anything new in XP :D )

We (at least I) may still not know certain parts of the mechanisms involved in XPs optimizations. Me personally, I'm learning more about it all the time. Dont assume that we know the whole picture yet, since XP is relatively new for both of us.

One of my holiday wishes is for people to realize the difference between PHYSICAL and LOGICAL clusters!

LOL! I was wondering when you would show up, Greg :D

Happy Holidays to you too!

The file system works at the LOGICAL cluster level. Each partition starts at LOGICAL cluster number 0 and goes for n clusters. This means that defragmenters work at the LOGICAL cluster level. They know that a file starts at LOGICAL cluster x and goes for N clusters. Defragmenters know NOTHING about the PHYSICAL characterists of whatever disk drive technology is being used. Because of this, there is NO way for a defragmenter to LOGICALLY place a file at some track/sector on the PHYSICAL hard drive. While it can be argued that a particular section of a disk platter is fastest, there is NO way for a defragmenter to know where that location is.

Scenario:

We have a 20GB hard drive (which is comprised of multiple platters). On this PHYSICAL hard drive, we have 4 LOGICAL partition: C:\ 8GB - NTFS, D:\ 2GB - FAT16, E:\ 3GB - FAT32, F:\ 7GB - NTFS. Since each and every LOGICAL partition starts at LOGICAL cluster number 0, can somebody please tell me on which PHYSICAL platter on the hard drive the E partition starts? Let's make it more interesting. Now, we have a 100GB RAID set comprised of 5 physical hard drives - each 20GB (each hard drive comprised of multiple platters). Now, on which PHYSICAL hard drive and on what platter does a LOGICAL partition begin? Nobody knows!!!!

I read the white paper at your site, and I read that too. Now, according to the white paper, it stated that this would affect RAID drives, but didnt seem to mention Non-RAID drives (although it may have been out of the scope of the paper). So this affects non-RAID drives also? BTW, thanks for the scenario there. It shows a good explanation.

BTW... The tests that were done by the magazine were for older versions of all three products...

I agree, I think the article is invalid in this situation, since all products are allegedly improved, and the fact that XP changes the whole scenario.

Good to see you here, Greg.

Some holes... What I saw & paid most attention to was the fact that Speedisk dusted PerfectDisk & Diskeeper across the boards... there's no denying that!

GHayes admits above Speedisk WILL beat PerfectDisk in "Some Circumstances" Well, that same article you link to? Show its beating PerfectDisk AND Diskeeper BOTH across the boards on LOADS of circumstances (like, every test) on heavily, moderately, & lightly fragmented drives on time taken to do the job, files left unfragmented, uptime, and more!

Again, this article is invalid in this situation (XP, Newer versions of the products). Both DK 7 and PD 2000 are much better at getting a clean run now. And lets not forget which paticular product is currently incompatible with XP...

Plus the fact that DK 7 is faster than both!

I never said it was valid to ones they have now, but both products looked like they needed updates to keep up with SD code that really beat them hands down across the boards even back then!

So, are we talking about back then, or are we talking about now?
Yes, PD and DK needed some work done to them back then. That work has been done. Problem is, now its Speed Disk that needs the work...

CONSISTENTLY, it did beat them hands down... I will take a better done job, over a faster 'shoddily done' one, wouldn't you?

Mundane Analog Example:

If someone sweeps the floor in my home, I expect a good job... not me having to do it again to get a good job done, right?

How exactly are Perfectdisk and DK 7 shoddy in their current versions, working in XP?

Simple, It does a better job! The article showed that, correct??

But does this still hold true in XP today?

Both BootVis.exe & the BootOptimization/OptimalLayout place the files where they accessed fastest: The outermost tracks! How do you think they get the OS to boot faster otherwise??

Quite the same!

Who ever said that bootvis and BO/OL placed files on the outer track? The only explanation I ever read is that they organize the files better for the OS to read them. This doesnt necessarily mean that they are placed on the outer track. And according to GHayes, this isnt the case when using defragmenters.

I will take that "nominal boost" & its more than "nominal"... I state above where I took on systems of Dual CPU nature vs. my own & pretty handily beat them on 3 different benchmark tests no less, with myself running only 1 of the 3 tests... how?

Taking ALOT of those "nominal" boosts as you call them & pooling them into a sum greater that the whole of its parts is how... this being one of them!

APK

Read what GHayes said about Logical vs physical concerning defragmenters. I think that it may shoot this whole outer disk argument out of the water...

Faster, but leaves a "more messy floor"... the article showed that in ALOT of circumstances!

:rolleyes:

Please tell me your not post skimming again. Have you read what I'm saying? The article is invalid to our discussion. It reviews older products. It doesnt take into account Windows XP, which is vastly different that W2K as far as defragmenting goes...

Does it? Personally, because it works like XP BootOptimization/OptimalLayout, I am thinking of turning that off in XP... why bother use it at all? Speedisk does the same & operates on the SAME DATA INFORMATION SOURCE, & uses it to place files for BEST SPEED OF ACCESS!

But in different ways. You not taking into account many things...

1) According to GHayes, Defragmenters work at the logical level, not physical. Its up to the disk controller to determine where the files go on the disk, not the defragmenter. Theres no way for the defragger to know where a specific location is on the physical drive.

2) We dont know exactly how or why XP performs its optimizations. How are we to say it doing it all wrong when we dont even know for certain *what* its doing?

The end result? Same as BootVis.exe or BootOptimization/OptimalLayout... & faster regarding MFT$ & pagefile.sys by outer track placements of them both!

<sigh....>

Please tell me where it says bootvis and BO/OL are putting their stuff on the outer tracks, if the filesystem doesnt even know where on the disk the files are going?

BTW, I'm still waiting for my previous question. I'll state it again.

In your own words, what does the MFT do, and how does it interact with the other files in the filesystem.

You conceded that is faster above, read/write to their content... which is what those files do alot of...get read/written alot!

Me? I'll take the speed!

And GHayes pointed out that we are thinking along incorrect knowledge. The defragmenter has no way of telling where exactly the files are going on the disk.
Think of him what your will. He may not be unbiased, but I have yet to catch him in a lie. I consider him (and you) to be great sources of information.

If that test indicated anything? Well... I'll let its results speak for me!

But as I've indicated, that test is no longer valid, as we are talking about different products. I contend that Diskeeper 7 runs *much* better than it did in versions 6.x. I have no previous experience with earlier versions of PD 2000, so I cant say anything there.

From your admittance that you havent tried DK 7, can you say anything different?

I dunno... we'll have to wait for the next test!

The fact that we are having to patch SD at all gives me my answer :)

Gosh, it's obvious... tell you what: You OR GHayes tell me what's faster than files places on the outer areas then... bet you cannot!

I think he just did in his first post...

No, you read that again, in fact, both of you answer me this:

What is faster:

A file that is read/wrote alot on the outer tracks where the best speed it can gain is done there as Norton Does it... or in the middle of the disk as MS does it!

Which is faster is irrelevant. The fact that you cant tell *where* the file is going on the disk shows this. Is this information incorrect?

ALSO: The first example I ever gave you in email... what was it regarding logical vs. physical disks? Exactly what he gave you here, wasn't it? Believe me, my understanding of it is as solid as it gets...

(Tell us all, what is the first example I gave you of that when you asked me in email?)

Send me the email again, or explain it here. As I told you before, I dont have those emails anymore due to my IDE controller screwing things up. Sorry about that...

P.S.=> GHayes may be a tech support guy, but I wonder if he has ever written any software on this material, or just spits back what he read? Seriously, because I already have shown that his benefit of Raxco PerfectDisk defragging metadata is already not a benefit because it begins fragmenting RIGHT AWAY in the temp areas MFT$ uses to store small files... I would ask him to answer that for you... apk

And I'll await his answer. But I'm curious as to what he's done to you, for you to judge him and his knowledge like that. Whether hes an uber programmer or not, I doubt he just "spits back what he read".

Frankly, his knowledge about defragmenters and filesystems probably outweighs both of ours combined. Yes, he works for a competing company, but as I said, I have yet to catch him lying to people.
I dont think he deserves that kind of treatment.

Several items:

Of the NTFS metadata, it is the $Logfile that is most likely to re-fragment. After all, all transactions to disk must first pass through the $Logfile. The more updates to disk that occur between flushes of the $Logfile, the larger it grows and therefore, the more opportunity to fragment. One other piece of metadata that may fragment quickly is the User Change Journal - IF a user has an application installed that has specifically enabled it. Other than that, the rest of the metadata typically remains defragmented for a long period of time. Is it important to have defragmented metadata? Compared to having defragmented files, no - the performance benefit can't easily be measured. However, keep in mind that with Windows XP, MS has provided the ability to defragment the $MFT. Therefore, it must have some importance to the owner/developer of the file system:)

Why does SpeedDisk leave the $MFT in 2 pieces instead of consolidating into 1?

Because SpeedDisk can NOT move the 1st little bit of the $MFT. It has to remain where it is. When SpeedDisk goes to move the rest of the $MFT, it may not place it adjacent to the portion of the $MFT that it cannot move.

Is one particular part of the hard drive faster than another?

That is a question that needs to be addressed to the manufacturer of a particular hard drive. I'm sure that each different hard drive has its own "sweet spot" (or spots - with multiple platters per hard drive, there could be multiple locations where access could be faster).

Questions regarding my technical expertise:

No, I didn't write PerfectDisk - didn't write SpeedDisk either - people with far bigger brains than me actually wrote the code for these products. However, the technical support staff here at Raxco work very closely with our development staff and we therefore have a quite detailed knowledge of not only defragmenting but of the file system (when one of the original developers of the NTFS file system and defrag APIs has worked with your company, there are LOTS of interesting things you learn...) Our very detailed knowledge of the NTFS file system gives PerfectDisk the ability to do things that other defragmenters can't - including placement of the $MFT according to Microsoft's recommendations to achieve a 5-10% performance improvment on NTFS partitions, the ability to defragment ALL of the metadata - not just the $MFT. I am not just a tech support "drone" either. I actually head up the technical support team here at Raxco. It is my job to make sure that we not only know our own products very well, but also have a good understanding of the file system and how it works. I also require my team to have a good understanding of our competitors products - certainly more so than our competitors seem to know of us:)

I have a piece of paper with a list of 10 things taped to my monitor - therefore I have to look at it many times every day. Among this list are the following:

- Solve customer problems immediately
- Always deliver more than you promise
- Rate your performance and continually do better
- Accept personal responsibility for your mistakes
- Customers are not an interruption
- Tell the truth

Those that know me (if only via newsgroups/forums) hopefully see that I adhere to the above in my professional representation. They also know that I don't blatenly advertise my company's products. They also know that I have never said that competitors products are "bad". I simply present technical information about how we and others work and let users decide the merits of all. I've even been known to recommend SpeedDisk to customers with NT4/Windows 2000 who have NTFS partitions with a cluster size >4096 (defraggers that use the MS defrag APIs can't defragment these partitions under NT4/Win2k). My personal believe is that the newsgroups/forums are a place for people to ask questions, seek clarification, request assistance, etc... My decision to participate in these forums is to help as my knowledge and experience allow (there are many things that I have little knowledge about - I know when to keep my mouth shut) - not to advertise my company or products - something that I feel I have done well.

This thread is "past it's prime". Time to move on to something more productive for everybody.

- Greg/Raxco Software

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back