Is taskbar.exe a program everyone has running too?

J

Jeeves

I think I might have opened a trojan from irc by complete accident. Some dude out there is randomly sending "screensavers" .scr files to people-- however I doubt they are anything but screen savers.

I quickly restarted the computer to stop anything that might have been executed by that file, and when it loaded I checked the task manager to see what programs were autoloaded.

Most look ok-- however is "taskbar.exe" a program everyone else has too? I closed it and it does not seem to do anything by being closed...

Just checking.

-J

Ignorance?

Easy way to stop viruses... get anti-virus software. (not norton... although it stops viruses its miss rate is just far too high for it to be a good AV)

i recommend NOD32. It has a 100% virus catch rate. Go test it if you don't believe me. These guys know what they're doing

www.nod32.com

I myself do not have taskbar.exe but hey... just get a decent enough firewall (zonealarm) that'll ask you which programs you would like to allow access to the net. If you don't know the program don't let it through... simple as that.

Jeeves, are you sure it's not taskmgr.exe? if so than we all have it...

yeah, i have taskmgr.exe running all the time, not taskbar.exe - check that thing out, before anything bad happens (not saying it will)

Re: Ignorance?

Originally posted by mbunny
Easy way to stop viruses... get anti-virus software. (not norton... although it stops viruses its miss rate is just far too high for it to be a good AV)

i recommend NOD32. It has a 100% virus catch rate. Go test it if you don't believe me. These guys know what they're doing

www.nod32.com

no virus program has a 100% catch rate..all it means if they say that is that it can catch 100% of viruses that it knows...which any anti virus program can do. if this program could truly catch 100% of viruses, there would be no need for any other program or such and virus makers would give up :p

taskmgr.exe is another program running.

What I did was sort of the programs by the user account (admin for me) and I saw that there was some "taskbar.exe" running off my account, and when I force quit it, it does nothing.

I remember taskbar.exe used to be a win98 program... if you shut it off it would clear your systemtray(?) however when I force quit this baby it does nothing on XP.

Where in the registry do I look to find stuff that starts up with the system, but is not placed in the "start up" folder? (Cuze I know there are programs which can start but do not start because they have short cuts in the startup folder... that retarded replayer system tray icon for one).

-J

dunno if this is what you were looking for, but to get to your startup programs list, go "Start," "Run," and type "msconfig." Go to the last tab and check/uncheck whatever you want...but...if you don't know what something is, don't uncheck it, figure out what it is, and then do something about it.

Lo and behold, I look in C:\windows\ and find this rogue 'Taskbar.exe' app... it is some sort of mIRC script that opens a irc window when you start windows and quickly minimizies/closes it.

I got the piece o' crap off my computer, and now it does not pop up when windows loads.

Thanks for the heads up with msconfig

-J

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back