Is My system good enough?

Ok, this PC could definitely play Halo. As well as a lot of newer games. A GB of DDR2 ram is nice (Overrated at the moment) But nice. Even though I'm sure it's basically valueram. The video card X300SE is basically close to probably a 9500 series video card. But it's nice that it does have 128MB ram and the SVideo out. SATA HD is always nice. And the HT processor is good.

well is this dell going to be upgradeable, because LeeJend made it sound like it wouldnt be, but i was under the impression that it was, especially with the pci express slots and i should be able to upgrade the ram too right? Any suggestions?

if you are going to put out money for a system like that, and you arealready creating upgrade options for the future, i think you might wantto reconsider and just save some money and buy a budget pc instead andget a good $400 ati or nvidia card.

if you understand that the system you want is very very good and very expensive than i suggest you buy it now cause it's top.

in a year and a half you should sell it.

quote,
The case might look familiar from the outside, but the new $3,099 DellDimension 8400 represents the opening shot in Intel's wholesaleoverhaul of the desktop PC's core technology. Featuring Intel's new925X Express (a.k.a Alderwood chipset), a 3.6EGHz Intel Pentium 4 560processor, and the first PCI Express graphics card we've seen--the256MB ATI Radeon X800 XT--the Dimension 8400 is essentially a showcasefor the future of the PC. Early adopter gamers and multimediaenthusiasts will be especially thrilled by the new hardware and thefast performance. As for the rest of us, we'll be better off waitingfor software that takes full advantage of the new technology.
http://earthlink.com.com/Dell_Dimension_8400/4505-3118_7-30919189-2.html?tag=top

egghead

i just want something that will include everything i need and be good for everything, not just gaming, and that i will be able to in the future upgrade. Now dont you think that the dell would be good for that. I really just want to know if the dell i get will be able to be upgraded? let me know?

Murlo26 said:
I really just want to know if the dell i get will be able to be upgraded? let me know?

No.

This system will not be upgradable...

ok, if technology stays where its at you can chuch in a new card or cpu or pci-e card.

this computer is maxed.

only upgrade you will need is when they come out with a new cpu socket and motherboard

replace that in your case and your ready for more upgrade in the future

update:

I checked dell's site and I guess things have really changed,
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_desktop4?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

they have budget models and the price is way down.

get a cheap 8400 and upgrade later or get the top of the line one and forget about upgrading for a while

egghead

my head hurts now....

the 8400 is what i am looking at, but you say it is not upgradeable, and at the same time you say to get it and upgrade it, please explain, i am confused, so it the dimension 8400(bare bones model) able to be upgraded in the future?

Murlo26 said:
the 8400 is what i am looking at, but you say it isnotupgradeable, and at the same time you say to get it and upgradeit,please explain, i am confused, so it the dimension 8400(barebonesmodel) able to be upgraded in the future?

if ylou get the cheap 8400 version you have lots of components thatyoucan upgrade because they are simply slow budget components.

Now look at the 8400 that is the most expensive.

That is what you eventually want to upgrade to because the parts are more high performance.

I want to ask you a question.
What do you feel is the most common things you will need toupgrade?

THe only things that i would plan on upgrading from the lowest 8400 is maybe a new video card if i need one and better and more ram, and possibly and extra disk drive and bigger hard drive.

Ok jesus christ, sorry murlo just had to say that, you say you’re an engineer, you know how to build comps, but all these questions jeez yourself......

.....but to make my splattering of rudeness more confusing I totally agree with your situation, I am very knowledgeable when it comes to comps. BUT I love to hear other suggestions and opinions on how and what I should build, so I don't think you Q's and A's are dumb. (This response is probably belated, but I just read through this whole thread and it’s a little ridiculous).

Ok to your last few questions, you can (regardless of what ANYONE tells you) upgrade any dell machine, with ANY parts you want. BUT and this is a BIG BUT, once you do upgrade you may NOT be able to use the recovery disk that comes with the PC, as it is usually programmed to work with the specific parts that are designed into that model, saying that, there is no reason why you can't just buy an O/S by itself and install that.

But after saying all that..... let me give you some REAL advice, buy all the parts yourself and build the PC yourself, it is really not very hard AND, you can buy far far better stuff. I see the 8400 is about $1000, for that you could build a real nice PC. I can build a faster PC, than alienware can for under $1000, Alienware usually charges at least $3000. If that’s any indication of the markup PC co's charge.

If you need any help, I’ll research all the parts and show you exactly what and where you can buy what you want on a certain budget, and if need be walk you through building one, if you're a little unsure. Also it’s a lot of fun building it yourself; it is also a lot easier to fix something you built also.

Let me know. If you were really a retard, then you should buy a commercial pc, but otherwise and it soundsto me like you are more than capable to build it yourself.

lancer said:
you can (regardless of what ANYONE tells you) upgrade any dell machine, with ANY parts you want.

My First judgment on the no you can't update the dell is based solelyon this computer spec here with the 256MB ATI Radeon X800 XT,
http://earthlink.com.com/Dell_Dimension_8400/4505-3118_7-30919189-2.html?tag=top

the thought process is the simple fact that it is maxed out with everything you could want and more.

you could throw in a couple 400gb drives etc........

Atx is on the way out so in theory this Dell will not be able to handle the newest motherboards in the new btx format.

So in a year and a half this will still be a kick ass system butyouwould really want a new btx system and thus upgrading these highspecsat that time would be waste as new ram types and amd intelsocketchanges are expected.

nice post about te recovery disks, this is very true.

Eggheard you are right from the standpoint of having no more slots available. But you can still remove crappy parts and put in newer and better parts (thus the term upgrading was born). :)

lancer said:
Eggheard you are right from the standpoint of having nomore slots available. But you can still remove crappy parts and put innewer and better parts (thus the term upgrading was born). :)

you are coorect but if he purchased the top of te line 84-- he would no longer need to upgrade anything hehe

i hope he has no more questions about upgrading heehee

LordOfLA said:
I'm not being rude. the poster is being an idiot and shouldnt be allowed near a pc if they have to ask if a game older than said laptop will run on it. Sure it wont be the ebst looking game said poster has seen but it'll be playable.

If people are going to ask stupid questions they should expect to be proverbially smacked with a 2x4 until their brains activate.
Read what I wrote again as it was aimed at the original poster and not you.

murlo26 said:
well since its some øøøøøøø from the uk that replied, is there any second opinion's out there, i just want to make sure before i buy anything.

lancer, if you can find me a comp for $1000 bucks in parts that is better than the dell from places, with a monitor and operating system( i guess i could find that somewhere, so with or without windows) and a gig of ddr2 ram with an intel please do tell me where to get the parts, i would for sure do that. Its just that i did a quick estimate off newegg for everything that i would do, and it came up to be about $1300.

So again please list something that would be as good as the dell, better than the dell for about $1000. PLEASE I would appreciate it greatly.

And yes i would have no problem building this comp by myself, ive done it before, and if i need help i know plenty of computer engineers and many other people who are really really good with computers, and if i guess you could help me too. But just make a list of parts and places to get them, and i will start ordering.

A few notes, i guess 512mb ddr2 ram would work as long as i have plenty of room for more, also i would like a pentium 3.2 ghz with hyperthreading, otherwise i am open for suggestions on everything from the kind or ram, motherboard, case and monitor and hard drive and video card(preferably ati and for sure uses pci express) and a dvd burner and anything else i forgot. Try and make this around $1000 bucks or give me some suggestions to make it around $1000 and i will for sure do that instead of the dell.

American Zombie said:
Read what I wrote again as it was aimed at the original poster and not you.

we are so far from that its not funny, please stop posting those things, just keep on topic please, thanks.

Ok, since I actually have this computer, I think I should step in and say. YES. It is upgradeable. It has 4 slots for DDR2 ram.. Once prices come down on DDR2 ram, you could upgrade easily. And like mentioned before. You can upgrade just about any computer by "replacing" parts. Swaping out the PCI-E video card for something that will do the job better then an X300SE. It has 3x PCI, 1x PCI-E X1, and 1x PCI-E 16. Space for 3 more HD's easily or 2 HDs and an optical drive. The main limiting factor is probably the powersupply. And it's got a nice Aluminum Heatpipe heatsink for the processor. PLUS The processor may be a 64bit processor with the EMT instructions. If you can find the Bios update for it.

Now that info makes me want to get the dell again. Lancer if your out there and still want to try and put a list of parts prices and places to order them from, please do, otherwise i think i might go for the dell. ANd that is precisely what i thought the dell had, and i figured that it would be easy to upgrade too, so lets see some pricing lancer.

AMD64 3200 939 90nm - $200 Retail
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=19-103-502&DEPA=1
DFI "LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D" NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra - $145
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-152&depa=1
Kingston ValueRAM Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - $131
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-141-423&DEPA=1
Western Digital 80GB SATA drive - $45
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-135-106R&type=Refurbished
Antec Case with 400W PSU - $102
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-120&depa=1
Apollo 6600GT Video - $184
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-140-047&depa=1
NEC 16x DVD+/-RW DL drive - $59
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-152-035&DEPA=0
Windows XP Home SP2 OEM - $92.50
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=37-102-151&DEPA=6

Now that's $958.50 without a monitor. BUT, you could go with a cheaper Motherboard (non-SLI), the AMD64 3000 processor, cut the ram in half which would be about $79.99 for some decent pQI ram from Newegg. And mind you, Newegg's prices have been higher then usual recently. So if you tried ZipZoomFly or Monarch and shopped around for the best prices, you could probably cut the cost down quite a bit to be able to add in a Monitor. It won't be an LCD monitor like Dell's, but your computer will actually have some decent parts in there. I'd probably swap the HD with a Seagate one just so you have a 5 year warrenty instead of the WD which has a 3 year I think.

Which website? I tried yesterday and there were so many models on the Dell site that said 8400 I had no idea which one you were looking at.

Drop a link to the specific one you are looking at and I'll look at the technical spec's.

PS I'd keep the WD then you won't need the warantee. ;)

PPS Shep you left out the keybroad, mouse and speakers. That's another $70-100.

PS I'd keep the WD then you won't need the warantee. ;)

Actually, I just had to send a WD HD in because it died... I'm using the warrenty. I like WD don't get me wrong. I prefer Seagate, then WD. In fact. I have... 7HDs totalling 910GB that are WD and only 1 Seagate. I don't like Maxtor at all. They were better when they were Quantum before they were Maxtorized. lol

Oh and here's the link to the Dell deal he's refering too.
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_dp_desktop4_1?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back