IS my PSU able to survive this?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nismo83, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Nismo83

Nismo83 OSNN AZN Addict

Does a 300watt PSU will be able to support the following spec:

Intel Pentium 4 1.5GHz
    Intel 850GB MOBO
    256 RDRAM PC 800
    40 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM
    20 GB Maxtor 5400 RPM
    Creative SB Live 5.1
    64 / 128 MB GF4 Ti 4200
    8X4X32 CDRW
    52X CD-ROM
  2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

I'd get a bigger one at least 350w
  3. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

My psu is only 300 watts and is currently supporting a DVD writer, cd-writer, Athy 2000+, 2 120GB hd's, and a GF4 :p

it's extreme but so far it hasn't let me down :)
  4. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

You are pushing it a little with all the goodies you got. But you're not using everything at once now are you? But if you have good wiring in your home/house/apt. and clean power, ie... no sporatic brownouts or blackouts or power surges. Then it should do you well. Question is how long have you been running this configuration? And how long is your up time (Time you leave 'Puter on)? UPS and Surge Supressor are all good to keep PSU happy. Also good cooling and flow of said PSU all help to keep the strain to a minimum. This is my opinion. :)

BTW I'm running a 300W PSU W/Athlon 1Ghz, G-Force2 GTS, 42GB IBM, CDRW, CD ROM, USB Flat Bed Scanner and USB Epson Color Printer. And I do alot of Image editing, Audio editing, CD burning, and Web Page Editing. But also APC Surge Supressor and APC 650 Backup UPS. Still tickin... *Knock on Silicon* :D
  5. UniSol

UniSol I'm all ears

Get a 431Watt one, should last a few years, costs £60.
  6. Kezzas

Kezzas Guest

Since your looking at a P4, make sure the power supply supports them cus the P4 needs 1 or 2 extra power sockets to the motherboard. All the Enermax ones as far as i know have all the ones you need. (I know mine does and mines just the bog standard 350watt one).

My 350watt enermax hasnt let me down with all the gumph ive got in here.

Athlonxp 1700
    Geforce 3 ti 500
    Slot 16x DVD
    CD Burner
    4 PCI cards and 5 USB devices.

In Hardware doctor the voltages are just right!

Clicky Clicky for a quick pic.
  7. UniSol

UniSol I'm all ears

Get the Minimum power needed from your MB manual and add 100Watts, get the closest PSU to that.
  8. Nismo83

Nismo83 OSNN AZN Addict

Thanks for the advice guys.