Is my graphics card working? I don't know...

The onboard video is usally listed as Video or Shared Video memory. It is that way on almost every mobo I have come across. I have rebuilt one PC where the motherboard chosen by the "computer guru" customer had onboard video that coudn't be turned off. Un-install the drivers for it, then use "Disable hardware in all profiles" in the device manager to keep windows from using it.

Then turn off the video support in the BIOS, if it is possible, if not reduce the total "Shared Memory" (not AGP share) to as low as possible.

LeeJend said:
Thrip I did not see where you installed or checked the latest graphic drivers. On the fujitsu site it has this page to select your driver updates. Note graphic is misspelled as grafic.

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/support/downloads_1.html

Looks like the last one is for the I845 chipset you have. But read them all to make sure.
Okay, I've moved the graphics card to PCI slot 2, and for the first time I am actually getting a signal from the card's port to my monitor. The first thing it says while booting is Verto FX5200 graphics card 128MB Ram - but then when it comes to the windows Welcome screen the monitor goes blank again. I can only use the computer in safe mode now. I removed the Intel onboard video through my hardware manager in windows, as I can't see anything about it in the BIOS setup screen. According to the motherboard manual, the settings for a PCI card in PCI slot 2 should be as follows:

PCI INT LINE PCI INTERRUPTS
1 (A) -
2 (B) -
3 (C) A
4 (D) B
5 (E) C
6 (F) D
7 (G) -
8 (H) -

But in the BIOS Setup under PCI configuration I only have the opportunity to assign numbers (3-12, plus 'disabled' and 'auto') to the eight lines. In other words - I'm lost, and have a headache from the German and pidgin English. Nevertheless, I seem to be making progress. Any more ideas?

Let's try that again:
PCI INT LINE
1 (A)
2 (B)
3 (C)
4 (D)
5 (E)
6 (F)
7 (G)
8 (H)
and corresponding PCI INTERRUPTS
-
-
A
B
C
D
-
-

Steevo said:
The onboard video is usally listed as Video or Shared Video memory. It is that way on almost every mobo I have come across. I have rebuilt one PC where the motherboard chosen by the "computer guru" customer had onboard video that coudn't be turned off. Un-install the drivers for it, then use "Disable hardware in all profiles" in the device manager to keep windows from using it.

Then turn off the video support in the BIOS, if it is possible, if not reduce the total "Shared Memory" (not AGP share) to as low as possible.

I think I have one of those guru motherboards, Steevo, though I've un-installed the onboard video drivers and disabled the hardware in device manager as you suggest. In my BIOS setup all I can see about video or graphics is under "Advanced System Configuration", where it says "Graphics Aperture" which is currently set at 64M.

I had exactly the same problem with sis' Fujitsu-Siemens PC. No way of finding a way to turn the onboard graphics off anywhere

Thrip said:
I think I have one of those guru motherboards, Steevo, though I've un-installed the onboard video drivers and disabled the hardware in device manager as you suggest. In my BIOS setup all I can see about video or graphics is under "Advanced System Configuration", where it says "Graphics Aperture" which is currently set at 64M.

I wasn't insulting your mobo or level of understanding, I had a customer that insisted on buying his own hardware as he thought I was going to screw him on it. I show all my recipts to people I build for.

Anyway, I didn't have a chance to look at your mobo manual online as I was at work. And I will not have the chance to tonight as I have a set of rotors to change and a exhaust leak to fix.

Sorry :dead:

Steevo said:
I wasn't insulting your mobo or level of understanding, I had a customer that insisted on buying his own hardware as he thought I was going to screw him on it. I show all my recipts to people I build for.

Anyway, I didn't have a chance to look at your mobo manual online as I was at work. And I will not have the chance to tonight as I have a set of rotors to change and a exhaust leak to fix.

Sorry :dead:

Hey, feel free to insult my mobo - I'm about ready to tear it out of the computer and frisbee it out the window. :mad: Anyhow, thanks for all your suggestions...

Thrip said:
I thought of doing that, but can't figure out how to run dual monitor.:yowch: This is so weird - my display properties actually says "Display: Standard monitor with Nvidia Geforce Fx5200". But the monitor is not plugged into the card, just into its normal old port...
did you try plugging the monitor into the graphics card after selecting it from the display settings?

I HAVE IT!!!!!! Like Moonwraith said, there is _no_ way of turning the onboard video off in the BIOS setup, and if you deactivate the onboard video in hardware manager and deinstall its driver, the blasted thing will reappear automatically during the next boot. The only way to get rid of it is to _right click_ on the onboard video icon in hardware manager and go to _deinstall_ ("deinstallieren", not "deaktivieren" which is the only option you get when you double-click on the onboard video icon). Then deinstall the new graphics card in exactly the same way, reboot and use the "new hardware" assistant to install everything from scratch.
I'm giving this information for the benefit of all computer-illiterate owners of Fujitsu-Siemens D1450 motherboards who are getting a stomach ulcer from trying to install a new graphics card (hey, there must be at least one other person like me out there). For everyone who's chipped in to help me out, THANK YOU! This forum rocks!

Yup, thats the way windows works.
Best to kill it at the source - I have to do exactly the same with my onboard soundcard as I use an audigy2 (although I am sure the onboard sound is lovely too)

Hi - I have the same problem with that board BUT althogh I tried to follow Thrips way, the Intel Extreme Graphics 82845G is back again - is there any trick - do I have to deinstall in secure mode???

gege did you first try and turn off the on-board card in your bios, if not, no you should be able to deinstall in normal mode.

Same like Thrips I did not find a way to turn off the on-board ard in the bios.
Thrips managed to deinstall it in the hardware manager, but I did not suceed :disappointed:

Hi - It works now!!
I called Siemens-Fujitsu and they had immediately the solution how to set the Phoenix-Bios (PCI parity check: enable + boot options PCI).

You don't click deinstall, you click Disable. I thought it quite entertaining seeing 2 pages of troubleshooting that has 1 simple solutiosn. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back