Is it possible..

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mike521, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Mike521

Mike521 Guest

Just wondering if anyone can figure this out for me. I have a shortcut to Windows Explorer, and every time I click it, it opens in the "My Documents" folder. Can I modify this shortcut to open to "My Computer" so I can see a drive listing and choose where to go from there?

I can't figure out how to make a normal shortcut to My Computer like I would to any other folder, and I don't know how to modify the Windows Explorer link either.

This is using Windows XP, by the way. Any help would be much appreciated : )

By the way, if I right-click on the shortcut and click properties, the "Start in" box says "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%" but I've modified this and it seems to ignore all modifications I make.

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Go to your desktop and right click my computer.
    then click create shortcut from the menu..

3. yoyo

yoyo _________________

If you want the explorer tree, rightclick your explorer shortcut, click properties and put this in the target area:

%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e,

4. Mike521

Mike521 Guest

that worked yo yo, thanks! Could you tell me how you figured that out?

speedy, yours couldn't work cause I'm on XP and don't have a My Computer icon. Its on the start menu, but when I right click that, it doesn't give me a create shortcut option.

5. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

you do, its just not showing..
    Right click desktop
    click properties
    [Desktop] Tab
    click customise desktop button at the bottom

you should then be able to select what icons you have on your desktop.

6. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Also if you rightclick your startmenu icon there is probably an option 'show on desktop'.
    How did I find out? Guess in a similar way you found it out - reading it somewhere and trying.
    For instance here or here .