Is DEP in SP2 only?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mainframeguy, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Hey guys - having almost tweaked my new AMD64 system how I like it I thought I might look into whether or not I am using the DEP that should be supported if I have an EDB on this processor.....

Thing is for reasons of my own (and VERY valid ones covered in other threads) I am holding this machine at XP SP1 with fixes all applied, and cannot go to SP2. Now I think I cannot have DEP without SP2, is this right?

I looked under SYSTEM >>> Performance >>> Advanced and there is no DEP tab, so I guess not, anyone care to verify?

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

You're right. DEP is a feature that was only introduced in SP2.
    As an aside, were you never able to solve the VPN issue you were having?

3. Kush

Kush High On Life!

what is dep?

4. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

nope - still waiting (infact the corporation I work for is waiting on this and VisualStudio issues before deploying SP2 at all - and they have thousands of machines waiting for the push when it comes :eek:

Data Execution Protection (Google coul be your buddy?) - helps in active AV deployment, also caused some big time trouble early in the SP2 cycle...

5. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

uses the NX bit on AMD processors (that support it) I think
    NX being Non-eXecute in the same bizarre naming method as the eXtensible Markup Language :eek:

Do your motherboard and CPU have support for it?
    Sounds like your CPU should

Dont think its as much Viruses as simply preventing buffer overflows from being able to access areas of memory which are supposed to only be used for storage and not executable code

6. Kush

Kush High On Life!

yeah geffy i was reading about it in a computer shop yeterday acutally, didnt notice, it was an ad for amd, and it said antivirus protection or somting, then it said, Yes, with the upcoming service pack from microsoft.