ip address

hehe been waiting to try this one>
Play nice everyone.
small-playnice.gif

There is not such thing as a MAC IP.

I NEVER SAID THERE WAS SUCH THING AS A MAC IP (MAC id/ addr. anyway its just a 6 byte hexidecimal translation of the 4 byte ip addr). IF I DID QUOTE ME!

- ipconfig /all WILL show the MAC address as well as the IP.

GREAT! I SAID I COULD BE WRONG ON THAT, I SAID I DOUBTED IT WOULD GIVE 2 LAYER DEFINITIONS FOR THE SAME THING, SEEING AS I HAVENT USED WINDOWS IN SOME 5-6 YEARS

I'm third year masters degree in computer science

nospeak.gif
goooooddd foooooor yooooooou.
laugh.gif
3 years, lol, got my BS in 3yrs, my MA in 1-1/2 yrs, & been a network admin 6 years. so STFU n00b.

(((BTW how the fu.ck could you be a 3rd yr masters student @ 21, oh 22 [big difference heh], just wondering)))

Besides, I was helping if you didn't notice.

NOPE, HONESTLY CAN SAY I DIDNT SEE THAT ONE COMING

Do you think I have > 1000 posts because I post *****ings?

YEP, EVEN FOOLS CAN SPEAK
(zedric=1036 (3.53 posts per day), started 12th January 2002 || madhacker= 58 (4.02 posts per day started 18th October 2002)
you've just been speaking longer, thats all!

With all due respect, you started it.

lame.GIF
if the way you think you quote me has any bearing, I don't doubt you think that. HOWEVER; read my posts, then read your posts in order. you've consistently REPEATED what i have said. :)

im chill, lay off the
joint.gif
school boy.

You have issues man. No offence.

Enough of this. So maybe you're older then. But it's pretty easy to see who's the most mature. I'm not the one going through the roof.

I'm third year masters degree because I started at the University right after my student exam.

... what your network (MAC) ip is unless ..
There, you're quoted. Happy?

Blah, enough. I'm tired of this bickering at least.

notice mac is in ()'s so as not to confuse you with modem and surrounding mac is NETWORK IP.............

I am not bickering........ youre just getting schooled young one.
this is my area of work not study. so get a clue.

this started in post #10, post #13 you tried to play teacher with "i know WTF i'm talking about", then on post #20 you started it all over again. I HAVE ISSUES??????????? grow up.

this is my last post to you here BTW!

Posted by MadHaXX()|2
(MAC id/ addr. anyway its just a 6 byte hexidecimal translation of the 4 byte ip addr).

I may be interpreting what you mean here incorrectly but the MAC address has nothing to do with IP addresses.

hehehe. leave it alone RabidPenguin, dont get em started again ;)

The MAC address is totally independant from the IP address. MAC addresses are assigned by the maker of your card (ie your modem or your network card). IP addresses are assigned by your Internet Service Provider. And in answer to the post about it being impossible to have dialup customers having the same IP everytime they dialup, that just simply isnt true. The ISP can give you the same IP based upon the MAC address and/or username. Why do you think that if you have a static IP on the router and if you restart your router you get the same IP address? Because it is possible to do it. So dont go around acting like you know everything and posting little pictures and speaking like you are 14 years old.

Brad

Posted by xxbigeyedfishxx
MAC addresses are assigned by the maker of your card (ie your modem or your network card).

Not assigned by the maker of the card but you are close enough. ;)

Quote:
On a local area network (LAN) or other network, the MAC (Media Access Control) address is your computer's unique hardware number. (On an Ethernet LAN, it's the same as your Ethernet address.) When you're connected to the Internet from your computer (or host as the Internet protocol thinks of it), a correspondence table relates your IP address to your computer's physical (MAC) address on the LAN.

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci212506,00.html

i'm tired of explaining the mundane, read it your self. **yawns.....**

Brad, what ISP do you work for? They should raise your salary, you prize-fighter! your work on static dialup IP's is invigorating, and mind numbingly exhaustive. you go girl!

come on rabid and brad....... this is boring, lets talk about something else somewhere else
spin.gif

What you just posted is different from (MAC id/ addr. anyway its just a 6 byte hexidecimal translation of the 4 byte ip addr). .

The MAC address is hard coded into the chip on the NIC when manufacturered. These MAC codes are assigned to the manufacturer by IEEE to ensure that there are no two like MAC addresses.

The MAC address is not a translation of the IP address. What does happen though is there is a table created that will match each MAC address on the ethernet network with the IP that corresponds to it. If the IP changes then the table is updated. The MAC never changes and can *not be changed.

*Some NIC manufacturers provide a utility to spoof MAC's if necessary.

someone should rename this thread networking 101.

The MAC address is not a translation of the IP address. What does happen though is there is a table created that will match each MAC address on the ethernet network with the IP that corresponds to it. If the IP changes then the table is updated. The MAC never changes and can *not be changed.

good lord!
im not a Fn author, i just wanted a one liner, not a lecture on the fundamentals of networking (maybe i should have done that instead though) sorry i wasnt clearer. I work w/ network folks all day, I apologize for the symantic fuxup. my proir post is what i meant. if you translate a book from french to english, you dont use the same (french) words, but what they are (meaning) in the english diction. if you were going to decrypt something you translate it w/ a key (like a table of cooresponding things).
sorry if i was gonna make the sun's rise on the wrong side of the world tommorrow, i didnt mean to do that. :)

MAC(Media Access Controll) address is unique and can't be changed...it is there to provide an ID for the Modem, NIC, even on Digital cable boxes that are on a network

p.s. I wasn't really getting into the thread. I just wanted to add that since I hadn't seen it yet....ONE

its all about the layers of networking:

application layer === www.who-gives-a-crap.com
network layer ===== 24.125.254.62
datalink layer ===== 00-00-00-00-00-00

right!

while none of those things are the exact same thing, all 3 will point (one right after the other) to ONE place online..................

YOu forgot to mention the Presentation, Session, Transport, and Physical layers. ;)

btw...Application layer points to nothing Online. Application Layer is the user interface.

ah, thats refreshing........

i didnt forget.... THOSE OTHER "THINK THEY'RE SO COOL LAYERS" CAN KISS MY A55.....j/k:)

Posted by MadHaXX()|2
Quote:

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci212506,00.html

i'm tired of explaining the mundane, read it your self. **yawns.....**

Brad, what ISP do you work for? They should raise your salary, you prize-fighter! your work on static dialup IP's is invigorating, and mind numbingly exhaustive. you go girl!

come on rabid and brad....... this is boring, lets talk about something else somewhere else
spin.gif

1. i am a guy.
2. i am a networking student
3. i was just correcting someone's mistake about static dialup IPs.
4. try to be a little bit nicer, you are not the smartest one on this board (and I am certainly not) so we all try to help each other and collectively learn. every single member of this board has something that they can offer to this site. and by the way, posting a link to a site doesnt automatically make it correct.

Brad

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back