ip address

bluzeboy

Bluzeboy
I have dial up is there any advantage to using my ip address when connecting or just having it obtain it automatically?

What? If your ISP provides you with an IP, use auto. If you have static IP, use static. Did I miss something?

u dont have a choice. wit dialup you definately uze DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), cause it would be impossible to assign every dailup acct a static ip address.

wat ur probably thinging of iz your DNS (Domain Name Server) address. it really dosent matter what you put in there (well, actually, it does, you have to put a VALID dns ip addr). you can obtain it automagically cause there's only 13 of em in the world, so your isp knows the addr.

--ps you connect to a d-up isp w/ a phone # not an ip, cause you gotta git conn3cted f1rst!

i mean the ip address when i put this command in command prompt
IPCONFIG /ALL

not quite sure what you are talking about....Your isp gives you an ip address whenever you connect....on dialup you have no other options...

Luna64 -when i click un your link and when i enter IPCONFIG /ALL in command prompt i get 2 differant addresses?
any ideas why?

yea, but its nothing that the client has anything to do with

ipconfig in windows tells you what your current ip addr's are. like i said before that has nothing to do with how you set up your dialup.

I have dial up is there any advantage to using my ip address when connecting or just having it obtain it automatically?

plz tranzl8 -- dont know what you mean by advantage? it aint gonna be the same next time you connect, or even seconds after you connect, DHCP is just that Dynamic

well is the ip given to you on that page listed anywhere in the command box after you type in ipconfig ?

Even if you are behind a router or firewall that web page should still give you your current IP. Unless you are using some advanced firewall.

Luna64 -when i click un your link and when i enter IPCONFIG /ALL in command prompt i get 2 differant addresses?
any ideas why?

it might be several things, it might be firewall proxyserver or your gateway addr.

with ipconfig it'll give you your network addr and ypur ip addr

I'm guessing you are seeing the IP of your network card (if you have one) rather than the IP of your modem. They are not the same.

judge.gif
lame.GIF
stupid.gif

uuuhhhmmm........ yea! (thx for saying it again)

Me? If you are referring to "with ipconfig it'll give you your network addr and ypur ip addr", I wouldn't interpret that as the same thing. I'd interpret it as seeing the MAC address and the IP address. Not the same thing.

do REALLY know what youre talking about or just repeating things that you've heard?

first off, your media access control id (location) and your ip address CAN be the same location, ie a dedicated server sitting on line w/out a gateway... not very efficient, but plausable nonethless. (I just dont want you to mislead these kiddo's out there that might think an ip addr is something that they have some sort of controll over and can optimize or something). it is certianly the same thing as your network addr.

second of all "ipconfig" WILL give you every network address there present. that website has no way of telling what your network (MAC:() ip is unless youre locally on the same network.

third, no! his d-up ip and network WILL not be the same.....I NEVER SAID IT WAS...lay off the booze cronic.

fourth, if you're such a "guru" as your title says, you'd know that youre not gonna be assigned a static ip with dial up! anyone that halfway understands the way the internet works would know that. now when ipv6 comes out in full swing then yea, you could feasibly have an ip for every d-up acct, but not w/v4.

I'd interpret it as seeing the MAC address and the IP address. Not the same thing.

now, i havent used windows in QUITE some time now, but i know that you WONT see your MAC addr in ipconfig. (maybe it shows it to you using the /all switch, but i doubt it [though i could be wrong]) If you remember a MAC addr looks something like 0C-15-8F-00-6D-EE this. your standard ip addr is part of you network layer and the MAC is part of the data link layer, so i doubt it would show you both. you usually configure your network (notice the word NETWORK in network layer) using an ip and a subnet mask. since a dialup acct is treated as a subnet internally within the isp you wont see that in ipconfig. but you will see YOUR subnet mask.

sorry i had to do this, but if youre gonna help someone dont bi.t.ch @ me, help them. if any of this information is useful to bluzeboy great. its better you do some research & know a little more than a little before you go ofering expert advice on something that you just HEARD of.

Posted by MadHaXX()|2
you can obtain it automagically cause there's only 13 of em in the world, so your isp knows the addr.

There are much more than 13 DNS servers in the world. There are 13 Master DNS servers but there are millions of other DNS servers.

yep, thx for the clarification!

lets split hairs. i run a name server on my box, but that dont mean that i should be counted as a name server. just my home network uses it, and it connects to one of the 13. his isp run name servers too so technically he dont have to configure that himself. :) thats all i meant.

Woah! Chill dude! Wtf are you on about?
- There is not such thing as a MAC IP. MAC is (like you said later in the post) something like 0C-15-8F-00-6D-EE.
- ipconfig /all WILL show the MAC address as well as the IP.
sorry i had to do this, but if youre gonna help someone dont bi.t.ch @ me, help them. if any of this information is useful to bluzeboy great.
With all due respect, you started it.
its better you do some research & know a little more than a little before you go ofering expert advice on something that you just HEARD of.
Oh I know what I'm talking about. I'm third year masters degree in computer science and engineering for one thing. Besides, I was helping if you didn't notice. Do you think I have > 1000 posts because I post *****ings? Like I said, chill.

Peace.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back