ip address

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by cruzinmatrix, Jun 5, 2002.

1. cruzinmatrix

cruzinmatrix Guest

how do you release and renew your your ip address in xp pro
    im showing the wrong ip addy on my dsl line

thxs rob

2. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

open the command prompt type ipconfig /release then type ipconfig /renew

3. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

how are you showing the wrong IP address? the IP is unique to your computer, if you have the wrong IP, then you will not be able to access the net. you are probably configured to use DHCP which would allow the phone company to assign you an IP.

Brad

4. cruzinmatrix

cruzinmatrix Guest

thanks ive tried that comes up error time out wil keep trying

5. Brad

it looks like you are not configured for DHCP. That is your correct IP address...

Brad

6. KDawg

KDawg Guest

Since your using DSL I am assuming that you have to use a form of PPOE not DHCP. If you can access the net on your box then they just issued you a new ip addy. If you cant get to the net on that box, what IP addy do you have? All Microsoft products issue a private IP if no IP is assigned by your ISP or other device aka router, switch.

7. Brad

PPPOE uses DHCP

Brad

8. cruzinmatrix

cruzinmatrix Guest

im on the net with a 56k modem right now called my isp they said it was showing wrong ip addy had a bad storm here nocked every thing out but it will not release and renew times out

9. KDawg

KDawg Guest

Ok....Have not set up a DSL line before. So I had no idea how the pppoe dialer program worked. So the program zaps some info to the ISP, the ISP zaps back info which includes IP addy, then DHCP gets updated with ip info..

10. KDawg

KDawg Guest

Im guessing since you have the wrong IP addy then its the one that MS products will assign when no ip addy is assigned to it.

What is your IP addy.
    only need 1st 2 octets.
    ex. 255.255

11. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

That same storm knocked out my power for about 4 hours.

12. djmgyx

djmgyx Guest

I had the same issues on my cable modem, and still occasionaly have it happen. Normall I use the release all switch and then disconnect the power from my hub, Unplug from the hub, and then reboot. Usually it'll then kick in an take the IP address I've setup. If not usually shutting down and booting up another system on the LAN will kick the router into accepting it. Irnically this did not occur until fater I did a security update from MS. Hope any of this info helps.