Invisible hard drive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Krux, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

I have a WD (western Digital) in my server that is being detected under the device manager but can not being seen in my computer. How do I go about getting it to show up?

2. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

I would try something like Drive Mapper if you have Partition Magic and take it from there.

3. RogerPhillis

RogerPhillis Guest

have you got auto detect set in the Bios and the correct "master / slave" setting on the drive ?

4. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

have you checked if you arent hiding it with soemthing like tweakui

5. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

yah its not hidden, I ran the WD diagnostic tool on it then wrote zero's to the drive shut it down, went to the angels game in LA and when I got back the drive was seen by the hardware manager but I couldn't see it in my computer. so I don't know what the dils is:D

6. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Well, is it partitioned? Is it formatted? What OS? If you are using 9x/ME it can't read NTFS partitions or Linux partitions. Windows 2000/XP can't read Linux partitions either. If you are running XP or 2000 then try this. Start/Run "diskmgmt.msc" See if it is in there and what it's status is. If you can't figure it out from there then screenshot that. It will help. Good luck.

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

once a drive is "zero'd out", thre is no partition information on it. you need to Computer Management > Disk Management, partition the drive, and format it. only after it's formatted will it show up under My Computer. :blink:

8. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

ok ill give it a try when I get home, if it don't work im gonna have to hunt down my circuit city 3yr thingy

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

let us know. :)

10. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

alright guys seems to be working now, thanks alot.

Krux