Invalid MS DOS Function!

S

Spanko

I have a lite on 52x CD ROM drive and im running Windows XP Professional. Everytime i try to copy files off a CD in the drive it gives me this message: Invalid MS DOS Function!

And the theres an ok button. I thought maybe my CDROM drive just blew, but it happened to a friend and he has a compleltley different CDROM drive, he also is running windows xp pro, and this never happened to me on any other operating system. Also i have 2 cdrom drives the lite on 52x - D drive, and a Cyberdrive CDRW 32X12X48. and the cyber drive works aboslutely fine. Has anyone else ever had this error? When i run a cd from the drive it works fine, i use it to play morrowind and never have any problems with that, or any other game running a cd in it. And i install everything from that drive so what gives??

PC demon? like a virus? wtf is a pc demon? i dont have a virus, because that was my first thought when i saw the error, ive scanned, formatted, scanned, and formatted again, its not a virus, never was a virus, never will be a virus. Ive never even had a virus...

I think he meant more towards the little computer devil sitting inside the case chewing on your cables ;)

lol...
ic... perhaps i should "spill" some holy water on my computer?

Satan's little helper ey?

Maybe Satan has turned on you? LOL! :D

sounds like a pretty odd error, spanko. but i wouldn't rule out hardware malfunction. a lot of companies merely have somebody build the product for them and they'll just stamp their name on it.. so you and your friend could very well have cousin cdrom drives.

also, what kind of motherboard do you have? if it's a via chipset, have you installed new 4in1 drivers? www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

FIC AD11

VIA 686B Southbridge

AMD 761 Northbridge

I know my stuff, thats also why i think the error is odd... I have never heard of ANYONE else having it, except my friend. And his CDROM is a compaq 33x... mine is Liteon 52x, i doubt they are similar in any way...

Could it have something to with the hard drive? I just realized... well the CDROM is 52x but my HD is only ata66 5400rpm... and the CDRW that works fine is 48X read... maybe the 52x is too fast for my slow pos hd?

seriously doubt it. even the fastest cdrom drives only use ata33 transfer rate. even if that was the case, the system has enough built-in error-checking to keep such a thing from happening.

you get this error every time you try to copy files from any cd, you say?

yes, i havent tried to copy files from anything other then a CDR but yeah, everytime, it will act like normal and start copying then the time (how long it will take to copy the files) goes up tremendously, like 56 mintes for under 200mb.... and after a about 1/3 of the wayt in it gives me the error. But when i do it with teh E drive, the Cyberdrive CDRW 32X12X48 it does ti fine in 2 minutes...

well, try a different (normal) cd! some non-burners will have hard time reading a burned cdr.

if a normal cd works, then you know where the problem lies.

I am getting this error msg too, but only with mp3s and with both cd-roms.........I have a dvd-rom and a cd-rw. 256mb ram, P4 1.8, firedragon m/b, 120 gb 7200 rpms hd.

any ideas will be appreciated.

oops, I forgot to say that regular cds, not burned audio cds, copy just fine.

it's either a crappy cdrom drive or cdr media. try using different cdr's. if that doesn't work, try a cdr burned with a different burner. if still no luck, it's your drive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back