Invalid BOOT.INI file

C

contender

I downloaded and installed a program called BootXP from bootxp.net. It allows you to replace the startup screens in windows.

But now I am getting this message before the black regular windows boot up screen.

Invalid BOOT.INI file
Booting from C:\Windows\

When I do a search for boot.ini the only reference I find is boot.ini.backup in C:\Windows\pss

This is what's inside that file...

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /KERNEL=LOGOOS.EXE
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="(Backup Line) Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

When I go to System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery I get a message...

The C:\boot.ini file can not be opened. Operating System and Timeout settings can not be changed.

I then click OK button as its the only option and the Default operating system drop down menu is greyed out.

How can I fix this?

Originally posted by Enyo
Replace it with the backup or with this text:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Rename the old one or remove it if you cant edit it.

notepad boot.ini will allow you to open it.

If you cant remove the old one or replace it you need to drop by the recovery console.

I belive a command from within the recovery console will also help you rebuild a stuffed boot.ini, ill see if i can find out the command for you.

Edit:

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q291/9/80.ASP&NoWebContent=1

Also a tip from another thread may help:

go to run --> type msconfig

click boot.ini tab and click "Check boot paths"

Enyo as I mentioned the only boot.ini file I have is boot.ini.backup so I cannot replace it.

Do you want me to rename it to just boot.ini and remove the .backup part and also edit the file if it lets me to jsut as you showed it above without the last line from the original post?

WHen I do a msconfig I have NO tab for BOOT.INI!!!!!

That is relating to the message I am receiving saying its invalid I guess.

remove the .backup and copy the file to c:\ see if that works before editing anything.

Check the contents of the backup first however, make sure it has something in it! :)

No boot.ini tab huh. Doh.

You say copy, so are you sayin leave the file as is but copy it to windows folder and remove the .backup part of it? Or delete it from where it is currently and just have the one boot.ini file in windows folder?

copy the boot.ini.backup to c:\ delete the current boot.ini and then rename the boot.ini.backup to boot.ini

As I said initially in the post that it was the only BOOT.INI file found so therefore I would just copy this boot.ini.backup to C:\Windows\ and rename it to boot.ini ???

See how this goes>

Go to run --> type msconfig

Click boot.ini tab and click "Check boot paths"

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
See how this goes>

Go to run --> type msconfig

Click boot.ini tab and click "Check boot paths"

Hipster Doofus as I mentioned earlier I DO NOT have a BOOT.INI tab when I run MSCONFIG

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

This is mine, if you dont want it to show the dialog box, set timeout=0 and then make sure the default is set properly

NOTE: Boot.ini for Win2k system.

thx for the help the message is gone and i now have a boot.ini tab when i run msconfig

i copied the boot.ini.backup to C:\ and renamed it and edited it the way you had it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back