Invalid BOOT.INI file

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by contender, Jun 23, 2003.

1. contender

contender Guest

I downloaded and installed a program called BootXP from bootxp.net. It allows you to replace the startup screens in windows.

But now I am getting this message before the black regular windows boot up screen.

Invalid BOOT.INI file
    Booting from C:\Windows\

When I do a search for boot.ini the only reference I find is boot.ini.backup in C:\Windows\pss

This is what's inside that file...

[boot loader]
    timeout=0
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /KERNEL=LOGOOS.EXE
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="(Backup Line) Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

When I go to System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery I get a message...

The C:\boot.ini file can not be opened. Operating System and Timeout settings can not be changed.

I then click OK button as its the only option and the Default operating system drop down menu is greyed out.

How can I fix this?

2. contender

contender Guest

Enyo as I mentioned the only boot.ini file I have is boot.ini.backup so I cannot replace it.

Do you want me to rename it to just boot.ini and remove the .backup part and also edit the file if it lets me to jsut as you showed it above without the last line from the original post?

WHen I do a msconfig I have NO tab for BOOT.INI!!!!!

That is relating to the message I am receiving saying its invalid I guess.

3. contender

contender Guest

You say copy, so are you sayin leave the file as is but copy it to windows folder and remove the .backup part of it? Or delete it from where it is currently and just have the one boot.ini file in windows folder?

4. contender

contender Guest

As I said initially in the post that it was the only BOOT.INI file found so therefore I would just copy this boot.ini.backup to C:\Windows\ and rename it to boot.ini ???

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

See how this goes>

Go to run --> type msconfig

Click boot.ini tab and click "Check boot paths"

6. contender

contender Guest

Hipster Doofus as I mentioned earlier I DO NOT have a BOOT.INI tab when I run MSCONFIG

7. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

This is mine, if you dont want it to show the dialog box, set timeout=0 and then make sure the default is set properly

NOTE: Boot.ini for Win2k system.

8. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Sorry. Missed that. :rolleyes:

9. contender

contender Guest

thx for the help the message is gone and i now have a boot.ini tab when i run msconfig

10. contender

contender Guest

i copied the boot.ini.backup to C:\ and renamed it and edited it the way you had it