Intranet Mail Server

B

barch97

I've been using microsoft mail for about 6 years in my small office. As far as I can tell, Microsoft no longer supports microsoft mail. I kinda saw this coming when microsoft mail postoffice was not included in windows 98. No problem, I just kept an old computer loaded with windows 95 to administer microsoft mail accounts. Well, that wasn't good enough for microsoft. They have now stopped providing microsoft mail access via microsoft outlook. The last version of microsoft outlook that really supported microsoft mail was 6 but, I was able to get microsoft outlook 2000 to access my microsoft mail postoffice.

It seems that microsoft outlook 2002 will not allow this at all or at least they make it VERY difficult. I have had to uninstall microsoft outlook 2002. Install microsoft outlook 2000. Setup for microsoft mail. Then install microsoft outlook 2002. This has allowed me to use microsoft mail with microsoft outlook 2002. I am not happy about this.

There has got to be an easier way. It seems that microsoft would prefer that I use microsoft exchange server instead of microsoft mail postoffice. The trouble is, I can't seem to find my free copy of microsoft exchange server that replaces my free microsoft mail postoffice. Nor can I find instructions/directions/system requirements regarding the installation & setup of microsoft exchange server.

I've got about a dozen stations in the office. There's about nine people working here. We VERY often need to transfer email, documents, files, etc. between people and stations. Microsoft mail did this job fantastically. I'd like to avoid having everyone begin transferring the before mentioned items via our pop/smtp email system because there are obvious speed and volume issues.

Maybe I don't need exchange server. Maybe there's a better way. Please post any help, suggestions, instruction, questions, etc. that might help me even just a little bit.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if there is a better way m8, but if you need cheap/free mailserver software
you'll find a pretty comprehensive list here complete with download links, descriptions, etc
Hop ethis helps ya out of a tight spot. Damn M$ ;)

oh wow... check this out.

guess I shoulda searched a little more before I came crying for help, huh?

oh well, live and learn...

Haha, just what you were looking for eh?.
Glad to see you got that one resolved. :D

Oh yeah, just noticed post count.....Welcome to NTFS.org :D;)

Although its probably expensive as heck, Microsoft Exchange.

JJB

Originally posted by Erbmaster
Oh yeah, just noticed post count.....Welcome to NTFS.org :D;)
Thanks, been lurking about for a while. There's just way too much to read here to go posting all willy nilly like.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back