Internet speed : 11Mbps MAX ?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by percy, Nov 4, 2004.

1. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

hi. i have a 54Mbps router. i have a 100Mbps source. how fast is the internet really? is 54Mbps more than enough? thanks.

2. well for network it's ok usually it's 100mbps on networks but i dont think it should affect the internet speed, the fastest internet speed here as i know of is 6 or 5 mbps.

3. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

internet speed here in the US? the reason why i posted this is my wireless shows low signal and flactuates from 4Mbps - 30 to 54Mbps.. does it affect internet usage like opening sites that has graphics?

4. well first of all my location says toronto.
    maybe you have too many walls in between or they are too far apart but i doubt it that it would affect the connection

5. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

that's what i know. it shouldn't affect the signal since i have only a floor made of wood and sheet rocks plaster walls... :(

6. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

802.11g advertises 54Mbps, but in reality, you only get about half that once overhead and other issues are over and done with. As long as your pipe to the internet doesn't exceed your wireless/network speeds, it shouldn't be a problem except within network.

7. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

thats gonna suck until I wire my house with cat6 and get a few gigabit switches...

8. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

How quick your internet speed is depends on your connection. Check what you pay for, it states the speed (or maximum speed anyway). I doubt it's more than the 4 Mbps you said was the low end on the wireless.

9. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Unless you live on top or are connecting directly into the backbone of the ISP, you'd be getting a max of probably 4mbps for internet use only.

The wireless (11mbps/54mbps) does not affect your internet transfer rate unless you go below the internet connection bandwidth.

10. koko

koko Got Root?

in my area, road runner is now offering 6mbps d/l speed. i drool every time i see the ad.