Internet Explorer / Page Cannot Be Displayed (New here and need help!)

abccbrooks

OSNN Junior Addict
I found this board on the web and thought maybe ya'll could help me. I am having a problem with my laptop. It has windows xp, it will surf the web but anytime I have to enter a password it says that the page cannot be displayed. It does it for email, ebay, etc. I am losing my mind. I know nothing about computers and contacted my cable internet people and they told me to do the following steps:
Open Internet Explorer and select "Internet Options" from the Tools
menu.

1) On the General Tab:
a) Click the "Delete Files" button and click "OK" on the pop-up
window.
b) If you have the "Delete Cookies" button click on it then click
"ok" on the
pop-up window.
c) Click the "Clear History" button and click "OK" on the pop-up
window.

2) On the Security Tab:
a) Make sure "Security Level for this zone" is on Medium. If it is
not, you can
click on "Default Level" to make it that way.
b) If the "Default Level" button is grayed out, click on the
"Custom Level"
button. A new window will open. Set level to "medium" and then
click "Reset"
and then "OK"

3) If you have a Privacy tab,
a) Make sure it is set to Medium. If not, click on the "Default
Level" button.

4) On the Content Tab:
a) Click the "Auto Complete" button. A new window will open. Remove
any
checkmarks.
b) Click the buttons for "Clear Forms" and "Clear Passwords".
c) Click "OK"

5) Click the Programs Tab.
a) Click the "Reset Web Settings" button and then click "OK".

6) Click the Advanced Tab.
a) Click the "Restore Defaults" button and then click "OK".

Did all of those and it did nothing. Can someone help me? My brother downloaded the windows xp service pack to it. I am not sure if that has something to do with it. If so can I take it back off? Do I have to do a system restore and get rid of everything? Can someone please help me? I am sorry if I am posting in the spot I don't know these boards.
Thank you very much in advance!

Re: New here and need help!

You're posting in the correct place, and welcome to OSNN. :)

I'd like to see if you get the same result using another browser. Try Firefox and see if those web sites give you the same issue. http://www.getfirefox.com

I'm not suggesting that you totally switch from IE, but it's worth trying another browser for the sake of troubleshooting.

If he loaded the latest service pack, was it Service Pack 2? If so, there is a firewall and while it shouldn't give issues you are describing, it might be. It could also be related to the pop-up blocker in IE, which is also installed as part of SP2 for XP.

I don't suppose there's a chance he'd need to upgrade the encryption pack for secure sites?

I have no idea. I was really hesitant to try the service pack because he said that it had problems before. He was replacing something (I burnt out my laptop in August) and when he gave it back it had it on there. I am not sure if that is what it is or what. I also can not view my user accounts. When I click on user accounts it is completely blank.
I am so frustrated!

You can't view User Accounts in the Control Panel?

no I can not. It comes up on the welcome screen but when I click on the icon in the control panel it just brings up a blank screen with two arrows and the words user accounts in the top left corner.

I suppose it has to do with your browser not reading some encodings and encrypts. I doubt it has anything to with cookies or whatsoever. Try updating your browser and checking out your advanced options under Internet Options of your IE.

Have you tried installing and using Firefox yet?

Good call. It might be a winsock problem.

Changed thread title to cover issue in question.

Thank you all. I have had finals this week and just got back online. I will try the winsock! Thank you again!

I tried the winsocks and it did not work. Could I just reinstall everything or whatever to start over from scratch? I have everything I need on a DVD so I don't really need anything off of it. I am about to lose my mind. I don't understand why I can surf the internet but I can not sign onto anything.

May want to try IEFix and also check in IE options to make sure security and advanced tabs are at defaults.

How would I just start over? I tried the two options given just a second ago and it says that I need the IEXPLORE.EXE on the Windows XP home edition service pack 2 and all I have is the service pack one that I got with the computer. So I don't know how to find it. When I click on user accounts that still comes up blank. Maybe I should just try to start over. What could I do to just start over or is that a no no?

abccbrooks said:
When I click on user accounts that still comes up blank.

Maybe this is causing the IE problem so let's see if we can fix your accounts.

Start > Run > regsvr32 jscript.dll

May need to do these as well:

Start > Run > regsvr32 nusrmgr.cpl

Start > Run > regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back