Internet Explorer Manage Add-ons (Windows Update)

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Sexo um Pato, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Sexo um Pato

Sexo um Pato qvack qvack qvack

Hey All,

I have a legit copy of XP with a legit serial...i've just gotten off the phone to MS and am entirely pi$$ed off that they didn't help me. So i've done some research on the net and found a solution to my problem. Hopefully this will help others if they face a similar issue.

Basically I check the Windows Update site to update my computer every week and recently tried to do so as per usual. The only problem being that it says I have a pirate key! But I don't and I still have my original disk with the install key on it and my receipt from where I bought it etc.....grr.

I have read that to log onto the update site (I mean I have a good key, and since MS won't help me I'm doing this myself) you can disable the activeX Add-on in internet explorer.

To Manage (Enable/Disable) your Add-ons in Internet Explorer. You are normally able to do this by clicking:

Tools
    Manage Add-ons
    then enabling or disabling Active X controls

For some reason I could not do this as it says "The administrator has blocked access"...well I am the administrator and I didnt block access!

I found out how to fix this problem:

Start
    Run
    type "gpedit.msc" (without the "")

a new window will pop up. Browse to:
    Computer Configuration
    Administrative Templates
    Internet Explorer

Then on the right hand panel double click on:
    "Do not allow users to enable or disable add-ons"
    Check the "Disabled" box and off you go!

Anyway, I hope this helps....

2. Sexo um Pato

holy crap!:dead:

no sooner have i said this...but after i downloaded more updates....this option stopped working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't enable/disable the Windows Genuine Advantage add-on anymore and it's stuck on enable....

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  3. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Since you have proof of purchase shouldn't they be able to help you?

4. Sexo um Pato

well...yes! they should...how many phone calls do I have to make to them before I start trying my own methods though???

would appreciate some help plz...?

5. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Have you talked to someone higher up then the help desk? Like ask for there manager or something?