Internet Explorer blocking popups/ads

Temperal

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi all, I know that I asked this once before but it was a couple of years ago and can't seem to find any info on it.
Currently I'm using IE6. It seems to be blocking some ads that are imbedded into web pages. Consequently my girlfriend is not able to play her "Pogo" games. No clue how this has happened as I am not using any pop up/ ad blocking software. The last time this happened someone told me to either delete a file or clean out a directory and everything returned to normal. Again I can't seem to find that old thread, and have no clue how to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. And please... feel free to take your time. With Pogo a no go, Doom 3 is the flavor of the day :p
Thanks...
Temperal

Might be the 'block ads' feature in your firewall. What firewall do you use?

I use Norton personal firewall and a router with NAT. Both of these have been on computer for well over a year with no problems. The ads are in a frame on the page that i'm looking at, but I get IE's "Action Canceled" workoffline message. It seems to only happen with some, not all ads. I'm still trying to figure it out, thanks for the reply. Just checked the software firewall and the popup app is not running.

Yeah Norton has block ads in start up, when (if you use xp) you can disable that norton feature and use the block pop ups in sp2, which seems easier to configure than norton.

Odd though don't ever remember having that problem with pogo.

Strange thing is I have not touched Norton. So I'm sure it is something else. The wierd thing is that some ads on websites that are in frames are not displaying at all, while others are. It seems that pogo does not want to work because the ad that it loads while you are waiting for the game is not getting displayed, consequently that game will not load either. I did try out Fresh UI and things started right around that time, but I've since turned all of its settings back and uninstalled the software. I'm assuming that whatever was told to me before about deleting a file or cleaning out a directory in windows is the answer, or I've got a stray registry entry/IE setting that will not let the normal ads come through. I'll keep looking, if anyone else has an idea I'm game for anything. Probably headed to bed soon but will check again tomorrow. Thanks again... :)
Temperal

Anyone else have any ideas regarding this, I'm still quite stumped. This is what I get when I right click on where the link/ad should be and choose properties

res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm#http://http300.edge.ru4.com/smartserve/ad?placement=pl-0329-021&invocation=1000&pr=

This is just one example. Obviously they change based on the ad. Again some are coming through and some aren't. Any further help is gratefully appreciated.
Thank you,
Temperal

Sorry to bump this thread again but I'm still stuck. I just installed SP2 hoping that the "ad" problem would be fixed, but no go. I've tryed to search google and microsoft for solutions, but everything is about blocking ads, not enabling not pop up ads. If anyone can offer any help I would very much appreciate it. My GF is irritated she can't play her games that require some ads to come through. I'm wondering if there is something in the registry that I'm missing but not even sure where to look. Thanks again...

Edit: I just figured out that the problem was with the "Hosts" file. Not sure how it got there but it was causing the problem.
It is located at:
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc

I just renamed the file and now everything is back to normal. For now I'll just leave the hosts file renamed unless I need to come back to it. I'm assuming one of the windows tweak programs that I used added the file to prevent ads.

Here is the text in the file that explains it:
Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

There are a few softwares around that will add a new hosts file. Kazaalite/resurrection etc, being one of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back