internet explorer 7

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Perris Calderon, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

2. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

nice find. can't wait for it

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie

Very interesting development. :)

4. NetRyder

Snowknight26 likes this.
  5. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

6. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

IE7 is, from what I been seeing, is supposed to have that and then some j79zlr. My expected vision of it is to have the same features as maxthon with the web standards implamentation. As well as some updates security features: Like better pop up blocking, spyware blocking, and "Hopefully" smart ActiveX ...

7. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Those two dont belong

8. Johnny

Do you even know what smart activex is ???

9. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Have you configured yours to high (block all pop ups)?

10. Johnny

When I say better pop up control I mean ability to add things to the allowable list with a click of a button or keyboard key. Like pop up stopper companion has it ..

11. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Tabbed browsing?

12. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Right click on Infomation bar (SP2), 'Always allow popups from this site'

CTRL + click on a link overrides the pop up blocker.

13. Johnny

I would love to see tabbed browsing in IE7 muzikool. And thanx for the info mastershakes. I didn't know that was there lol ... Shows how much I pay attention ...

14. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

sure why not

15. NetRyder

Tabbed Browsing, ad-blocking (for those who use it), Mouse Gestures and all that other good stuff is already available through IE front-ends. Maxthon actually does a fine job with most of these things.

I think Microsoft's top priority for this release should be to strengthen security as much as possible (which seems to be their primary focus, as per the announcement) and bring Trident's poor CSS support up to speed (maybe even get CSS3 support in!). I'd also like to see them do something creative...something beyond what Live Bookmarks in Firefox offers...with RSS, especially since syndicated content is gaining significant momentum.

Once security and rendering issues are under control, then switch focus to other useability features already available in Fx, Maxthon, etc. and try to improve on them. Just my thoughts...

16. NetRyder

And with regards to ActiveX - I'm not so sure I want to see it go completely.

Sure, it's turned into a malware-magnet (which is rather unfortunate), but I'm sure it's something that can be fixed and secured properly if they put their hearts and minds to it. Without ActiveX, we'd be losing a whole bunch of really neat services like Outlook Web Access etc. which don't have any comparable alternatives that aren't ActiveX-based. Fix it rather than get rid of it is what I say. :)

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, SharePoint services rely on ActiveX, don't they? Gates has been really pushing SharePoint and other online collaboration features of Office during the past few months. If ActiveX is a necessary component for that, you can be sure it's not going anywhere. ;)

17. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

I really just want proper CSS and PNG support

with regards to activex, its going to have to either die or be modified if XHTML 2.0 is supported. Instead of IMG tags it used the OBJECT tag and a type. So just about anything can be put in there. The downside of this is that for MSIE the OBJECT tag is already proprietily used for ActiveX

18. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I want to try it so bad that I punched my mom in the face!!

Seriously, though, this is what I want most out of it. Tabbed browsing would be nice, too.

19. Kush

Kush High On Life!

i hate the stupid thihng that doesnt allow you to download things, and u have to say allow and then it reloads the page, every single time

20. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I realize that security is ultimately the most important "feature" of a web browser, but I think that a major release (6.x to 7) almost requires tangible additions that improve the user experience. I believe it's possible that a major IE release without those user enhancements will push more users towards alternatives such as Firefox and Opera. It could be viewed as a sign that Microsoft isn't paying attention to what the public wants in a browser.

I realize that there are front-ends that currently add featuers to IE, but tabbed-browing, specifically, is built-in to Firefox and Opera. At this point, I think it's a necessary feature for Microsoft to include. That in itself could probably be the user enhancement that makes the 7.0 release big.