Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by kcnychief, Aug 24, 2006.

1. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Copied from the front page....

Download: Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

This version is much more stable than previous releases. Several issues have been resolved.

Quick Tabs has been fixed and it now shows open tabs at the right size (beta 3 showed fewer open tabs larger than if you had more open tabs).

However, sites that use certain JavaScript functions (such as this site and the "Insert Link" function) need to be added to the "Trusted sites" list or the information bar is going to popup asking you if you want to "temporarily allow".

Still testing and going through the issues I had with beta 3.

3. kcnychief

Interesting post on the IE Blog, talking about installation changes. Noteworthy are that it will remove previous version for you, and if it can't you can still upgrade - sweet! That should solve a lot of issues for people testing older builds who want this one :)

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/08/24/714977.aspx

4. madmatt

Yes, but it requires a reboot in between the uninstall and install of RC1. After installing RC1 it will automatically reboot your computer with or without everything loaded.

Also, it is worth noting that RC1 is also available for XP x64, 2003, and 2003 x64. This isn't mentioned in our news article.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  5. madmatt

Issues with RC1

6. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

You may have atdmt.com blocked? I know I had to un-block it before getting to the download.

8. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Yes, I don't know how or why but that was blocked, but it still doesn't make any difference. I've cleared my cache too, but still no luck :(

Why the hell would atdmt.com be blocked?

EDIT: May have something to do with Supertrick! Will investigate further...

EDIT EDIT: Ahhhhh!! switch.atdmt.com was blocked from the hosts file, but I've cleared that and it works! Thanks for the tip!

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I've tried giving you reps but I need to spread some around first! Will try again later.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  9. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Heh. atdmt is used for advertising aswell as tracking. I have it blocked at router level, quite annoying when someone like Microsoft uses them to track downloads (I guess that's what they're doing?) and I have to hop into the router config and disable the blocking for a while. :D

Either way, IE7RC1 is now installed, and running fine. Still doesn't work with Meebo though, bah!

10. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

thanks for linking me here Khyaman (rep+++) and why you may ask? Because the Citrix ActiveX problem (known issue) is a show stopper for my usage (need it for my work!) - so the chilled IE is teh one for me!

11. kcnychief

I thought that only is an issue on Vista?

Even if it is, there is a workaround....

12. madmatt

Derek is right, Protected Mode isn't available for Windows XP.

13. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

OK, I'm using it now, and so far it seems to work OK for my work apps too....

I just started finding Firefox was going into resource hogging and crashing on me too often.... I already knew the IE7 functionality more or less met my needs - pleased to see it seems tidier than Ffox now at RC level, my memory usage may even be a 100 meg or so lighter....

How are others finding the RC1 comparatively speaking, so to speak.... not wishing to start any browser fanboy stuff, but interested in other comparitive experiences...

14. kcnychief

I can't really give much in regards to comparison, because I have never really used other browsers.

I love IE, the features that version 7 brings to the table are a huge improvement

That being said, IE7 is stable, fast and hasn't given me any problems worth mentioning.

15. madmatt

IE7 RC1 is a huge improvement over previous versions of IE. It is very exciting (for me anyway) knowing that Microsoft is once again dedicated to their browser and that they will be delivering a new version every year.

16. kcnychief

^^^Well said.

17. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

Hmm, I tried previous versions but it basically ran poorly. So, is this version any better? Until it at least comes close to running to Maxthon's level then I might just stay away from it.

18. madmatt

RC1 is very stable and much faster than previous beta releases. RC1 is feature complete. There are a few bugs which I have been told were fixed already in internal builds.

19. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team