Internet Explorer 7 has stopped displaying .png Graphics

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by loaderbull, May 10, 2007.

1. loaderbull

loaderbull OSNN Junkie

Hi all,

As you can guess from the title, IE7 no longer displays .png pictures, on any website.

I have done all the usuall emptying of cache, temp files etc, and attempted the sfc /scannow just in case.

I am now getting peed by this, an annoyance it is!

Any help from you chaps?

Thanks.

2. loaderbull

loaderbull OSNN Junkie

As an update, if i right click the iexplore.exe in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and run it as admin, it does display the .png pictures...

I have turned Protected Mode off, altered internet settings to allow, all to no avail. The site i use to check if it works is osnn.net, but i do and have checked other sites, and it is all .png files that do not show! Frustrating is not the word.

I can open and view .png in windows picture viewer etc, it is just IE7 that will not allow me too, FireFox works fine with them.

I cannot repair IE7, i am not sure how to be honest.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

3. hansrijf

hansrijf sh! it stinks Folding Team

Did you try a reinstall of IE7?

4. loaderbull

loaderbull OSNN Junkie

How do you do that in Vista?

5. hansrijf

I don't know since I still run XP. But you can go to the Microsoft website and download IE7 and then reinstall it I guess.

6. loaderbull

loaderbull OSNN Junkie

As i am running Vista, Microsoft informs you that you have IE7 already (it is a slightly different version for Vista than XP), and tells you that you cannot download it, only for XP/Server 2003.

I assume that installing IE7 for XP in Vista would not work. There are, as i can find, no means of uninstalling IE7 in Vista, apart from using the sfc /scannow or re-installing Vista, which i really don't want to do, seems as i have all of my programs set up now!

Cheers.

7. hansrijf

You could try a program like Advanced Windows Care from www.iobit.com. It repairs broken and false registry entries and it is for free.

Maybe this helps, otherwise I would not know either.

8. loaderbull

loaderbull OSNN Junkie

Thanks for the link, although i have fixed it, it was a rather long way of doing it.

I re-installed Vista, but upgraded, so it replaced the OS files, but left my programs. Why doesn't Microsoft provide some sort of repair function for IE7 i do not know! Would of saved me a whole load of time to just repair rather than the round-a-bout way i had to go through.

Anyway, thought i would post back to let peeps know,

Cheers.

9. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

That wouldn't work. The version of IE 7 for XP is different than the one for Vista. There is no downloadable version of IE 7 for Vista.