Internet explore problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by JonJon, Feb 9, 2005.

1. JonJon

JonJon OSNN One Post Wonder

I have just got a new computer, with Windows XP Home service pack 2. One of the few things I have installed on it is Norton System Works 2005. Also Ad-Aware.
    I am getting a recurring problem with Internet Explore. Basically the following:
    Explorere hangs, either on start up or when I click a link from one site to the next.
    When I try to close it I get the error message that the program is not responding.

When I click End Now I get You chose to end the nonresponsive program, Internet Explorer

The program is not responding, please tell Microsoft about this problem.

Data in the error report:

Error signature

szAppName : IEXPLORE.EXE szAppVer : 6.0.2900.2180 szModName : hungapp

szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

Technical information on the error report:

C:\DOCUME~1\ASUSTA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER332e.dir00\IEXPLORE.EXE.mdmp

C:\DOCUME~1\ASUSTA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER332e.dir00\appcompat.txt

Can anyone help? Obviously I don't want to lose my virus protection by simpling uninstalling Norton.
    Thanks

2. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Have you tired deleting your Temp folder?

3. JonJon

You mean emptying it? Yes. In any case it started before I had viewed many websites. I also reinstalled Windows once.

4. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Try this first:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

Run the scan half way down the page.

Also make sure WindowsXP firewall is disabelled if you have another firewall running.

If you have your own antivirus make sure that WindowsXP security knows you have your own solution.

5. JonJon

No Sasser. In addition Explorer freezes when I click on a link (eg yours to microsoft above).

6. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Did you do the other suggestions?

7. JonJon

Ah! I turned off Windows firewall and opening a link to another page worked! the question is should I have windows firewall or Norton Internet Worm protection turned on?

8. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Norton on (and it's sub features) XP firewall OFF! Suprised NIS didn't tell you to disable it when trying to install NIS.

Check the security centre control panel to make sure it's like this:

Attached Files:

9. XxFirebrandxX

XxFirebrandxX I am a MONKAY!

I also suggest perhaps a different web browser - Firefox! Nopop-ups, no scripts installing various spyware onto your PC, tabs formultiple page viewing in one browser.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

10. n0d3

n0d3 the 4um stalker

i'm gonna have to agree with Firebrand.... when i saw the title of this thread i was like "well, your first problem is going to be that you're using that browser"

11. JonJon

Thanks. Maybe I'll try Firefox. Once last thing though, I don't have Norton Internet Security, just System Works.

12. try deleting stuff with CCLearer and then try reinstalling IE migiht be bacause a few files didn't install good

13. Kush

Kush High On Life!

dont use ie, use firefox, and remove norton system works, it sucks, use avg antivirus, norton doesnt pick up viruses somtimes that are already in the system, had that effect on many of my friends pcs, avg is free, and better and lighter on the system. and also get spybot, it usually has to accompany ad-aware to get the best results, and the windows xp firewall is stupid i would use another firewall if u really need it.

14. apu95

apu95 Caffeine-->Code Converter

i agree with themafia...if u want a good firewall, i recommend testing Zonelab's ZoneAlarm Pro. Its really easy to use and you can customize it to your heart's content :).