Internet Connection Issue

wessleym

OSNN Addict
I'm connected to the Internet through my ethernet port. When I open Internet Explorer, I get this message:

Work Offline
No connection to the Internet is currently available. To view Internet content that has been saved on your computer, click Work Offline.
Click Try Again to attempt to connect.

When I click Try Again, it immediately works. I am obviously connected to the Internet, since other programs works fine on the first try. I think Internet Explorer checks my Network Connections folder for any dial-up connections, and when it can't find any, it pops up this message before actually checking to see if it can actually access the Internet without dialing in. Can anyone help?

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, and click on the Connections tab. Under here, you have various options - if you are connected to the internet using ethernet (presumably to your modem/router) you shouldn't have anything in the "Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings", and "Never dial a connection" should be selected under the "Choose settings..." bit.

It might also be worth checking under the File menu in IE to check that "Work offline" is not ticked.

Sam

See, that's the thing. There are no connections listed, its set to never dial a connection, and it already knows to work online. I don't get it. Someone, please help!

Is it an always on connection (Static) or a Dynamic connection, or are you on dial-up? When did this problem first start? Did IE work correctly/connect correctly before? Have you done any IE updates resently?

Is IE set to open OffLine?

Should work if you:

1. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Connctions>LAN Settings
2. Make sure that the Automatically detect settings box is checked.

Dude, ming, you're the man! After making the change on all the computers in the house, I ran several tests, and they all worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!

Do I get a point for that? ;) :D
or a smack in the face? lol :p

Ming, I know you posted this looong time ago, but it still works, thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back