interesting wifi problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Perris Calderon, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

so, I've had this gateway for about two years, still running pretty good (case made like crap, worn keyboard, broken right and left click buttons, etc)

since I got it, the wifi card has been inconsistant;

mostly it works flawlessly, HOWEVER on particular hot spots the card will just not see any signals even though every other system in the place and every other laptop I own sees all these signals

to get this one to see the signals in this spot (and these spots only), I have to go to device manager, disable the driver then re-enable...then it works just fine till the next time I come to this hot spot

interesting, I am thinking it's a router conflict for this one place that makes the card unuseable till it's restarted, any suggestions?

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

sounds like either iffy drivers, or hardware problem to me

3. Perris Calderon

ya, it's a marvel and it gives plenty of people throuble, it has the latest drivers, even the betas, no help

4. batteryready

batteryready OSNN Junior Addict

Then, change the hard drivers.dear perris

5. Perris Calderon

there is no driver that I can find that fixes this card

not to worry, this box has seen it's last few weeks

6. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

get a usb dongle and the system will live again, no point scrapping a working system just because you have a crap wifi card ;)

It could live on as a server or gateway, or even hardware firewall using pf sense :)

7. Perris Calderon

ya, I plan on using it as a desktop for my dad, I need to install the new keyboard gateway sent out and get him a mini mouse

the card isn't the problem, I've used it like this since I got it, it's just interesting there are only a couple of hot spots that cause the instability issue

and that's just on boot from stand bye or hybernate, and again, it's not really a big deal getting the card working on these couple of spots

I speculate there's some kind of incapatability with one of the wireless router brands

hey, is there a way to see the make of the router through a cmd command?

I would love to find out if the spots giving me the trouble use the same router

8. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

You may be able to determine the manufacturer if you can get the mac address of the AP. I know my Intel card's wifi utility (proset) can tell me the remote mac address.

9. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

Although I've set up wireless for other people a few times I don't use it myself so this may be mistaken, but it may be similar to a method I could use for wired which is:

1. In Command Prompt, enter IPConfig and pay attention to the "Default Gateway" entry for your Local Area Connection, close to the top of whatever information IPConfig spews out, for example, 192.168.0.1.

2. In your favorite browser, type in the address bar "http://192.168.0.1" (or whatever the IP was).

This attempts to enter the configuration for the router: [​IMG]

(the blacked out portion showed the model of my router although not the make)

When canceling that dialog out, I get an error page: [​IMG]

(the blacked out portion showed the website for my router manufacturer)

So with any luck, you could at least get some hints in the right direction.

10. Kysersosa

Kysersosa OSNN One Post Wonder

Yes, if you can manage to get a MAC ID, try this website

IEEE Standards Websearch: Search

11. Perris Calderon

finally got back to this hot spot and default gateway isn't reported at this location

12. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

What happens if you try to go to http://192.168.0.1 anyway?

Interestingly, Outlook (2010 Beta) marked the notification of your reply to this thread as a possible phishing message. Maybe because of my thumbnails or something; who knows.

13. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

If the laptop is N capable try disabling the N and setting it for G only. My new router was quirky until I disabled the N.